Electrical problem...anyone got a diagram?

RustBucket

Jun 8, 2003
Buford, GA
I've got a weird problem that just started on my '91. When I first start it up in the morning to go to work, or in the evening when I leave to come home, the A/C blower and the turn signals don't work. Hit a bump or go over a bad railroad crossing and Voila! They come back. Sounds like a loose connection or bad ground I know. But where? I'd like to see a diagram to see what connections or grounds the two very different circuits share. I'm hoping that it'll at least narrow down where to look. I'm sucks trying to purposely find a pothole. :rolleyes:

Nothing else appears to be affected by this. I don't have a whole lot of hair left so I'm asking for your help so I can at least keep enough to grow a nice comb-over when the time comes :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

Had the same problem once too, drove me nuts. I traced the circuits and narrowed it down to the ignition switch. I wound up taking the car to Ford and having the ignition switch replaced (Factory Recall- FREE- they were causing fires in the colume). problem fixed. call your dealer with the VIN and they might be able to tell you if the switch has been replaced. our cars are pretty old, don't know if they still have those records, but its worth checking.

Ignition switch huh? I'd have never figured that, but I suppose anything's possible. I know for fact that the switch is original. The car has been in our family since new. We bought it and my wife's new '06 at the same dealership :)

I never thought to jiggle the key. I had it in my head that it was probably a bad ground or something loose under the dash. The car's coming off the road next week for a complete front end rebuild so I'll take a look at the ignition switch too while it's down.

Thanks for the help.

My Chiltons says the turn signals are on fuse 5 and the ac blower is on fuse 9.

Fuse 5 has the backup lamps, fluids module, heated rear window relay. Fuse 9 is ac blower only.

Both circuits are hot is key on only, so I would start at the ignition switch. It is adjustable, and that might help, but new ones are fairly cheap.

If you wiggle the key and it fixes it, thats probably the problem.