electrical problem with my 65 Mustang convertible

joeyemma

Sep 15, 2008
Hi...I have a 65 green Mustang that I store in a garage in NH over the winter. Picked it up yesterday. Had to jump it....no problem, I expected that. Let it run for a while to charge the battery back up and it did the trick and started right up several times and ran like a charm. I drove it home (over 100 miles) with several stops along the way. No problems with the car...ran great and started back up easily every time I had to stop.

After about 150 miles of driving I noticed it running a "bit rough" but no problem. I parked it in my driveway and 1 hour later went to start it...dead. Turned over slightly but not even close to starting. Took the jump but would not re-start again so it is not holding the charge now.

This happened to me last summer and I replaced the battery and the alternator and the problem was solved. Belts look fine.

The engine is recently rebuilt.

I don't dare take it out today (even though it is gorgeous out) because last summer when this happened I got stuck 30 miles from home and it would take a jump, but would not continue to run as the alternator was shot.

HELP.....I am going to take it into my mechanic on Monday but if there is anything I can do myself today I would love to try.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a digital voltmeter (you can get them now days for less than $10), Check your voltage at the battery after you jump it while it's running. It should be 13-14 volts. If not, it's either the voltage regulator or the alternator. Most Auto Parts places can test your alternator for free.

If the voltage is good, then likely it's the battery. Sometimes they don't always come back to life. It's a good idea to get a "battery minder" when the vehicle is in storage for the winter. It's like a small charger that puts out less than one amp and keeps the battery from going dead.

Also, Look at all the wires, terminals and connections for any signs of loose, frayed, broken, corroded, melted, or shorting at the battery, solenoid, alternator, voltage regulator, firewall connectors and engine grounds.

ok....this is what is going on now. I put the new battery in and it was fully charged. The car still required a jump to get started. I don't understand that. But then it ran great. Perfect...smooth and strong. After about 20 minutes it started to muck down again....sputter and not idle properly. And when it did finally stall, it would not start without a jump. I am hoping to get it to my mechanic tomorrow....just don't understand what is going on.

The point is ....there are some of us that have answered this guy with tons of GRAT info yet he HASN'T responded to our posts.

All there is ,is this same question which he doesn't reply to.

Now do you understand ?