Electrical Problem with TFI-IV

Ok guys. 90 lx 302. Let's see, With the Key on Engine off, if i move the distributor the fuel pump grounds/primes. And when i disconnect the Connector for it, it doesn't prime. I suspect a short. Anyone have any wierd problems like this. By the way, i have a "GAY" distributor (no joke) Thank you much.

Jorge

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar occurance at one point. Turns out that the distributor was not grounded good when loosend up and moving it allowed it to ground and complete a circuit for the pump relay. I never investigated any further, though.

That sounds sort of normal?

The SPOUT/PIP signal from the distributor tells the EEC when the engine is cranking, the EEC in turn engages the fuel pump relay and thus the pump. If your key is on and you turn you dist. back and forth the EEC will interpret that the engine is turning over and trying to start. I use that as a simple check for function of the TFI, hall sensor (inside dist), and PIP/SPOUT wiring, If the pump comes on momentarily then there working OK.

BTW, PIP and SPOUT are more or less the same thing just differnet names were given to this SPOUT untill '90 and PIP after that, one means 'SPark OUTput' the other is 'Profile Ignition Pickup'.

Yes, that is normal. I didn't express myself well. With the dist. loose, the car wouldn't start. I moved the dist. slightly and it started. I did this several times before I saw the spark between the dist. and the block and decided to tighten it back up!

JB66 said:
Yes, that is normal. I didn't express myself well. With the dist. loose, the car wouldn't start. I moved the dist. slightly and it started. I did this several times before I saw the spark between the dist. and the block and decided to tighten it back up!
so are you saying that when the dizzy hold down is loose, it is normal for spark to short to ground from inside the dizzy? that is a new one on me. :)

Noooo... I'm just saying that's what happened to me. It's just an observation. It may or may not be helpful as to the current problem. I am just suggesting he may want to be sure the distributor is grounding well, if you think it might make a difference.