Electrical problems

MO351

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
MO USA
96 Mustang GT. No dome lights, power door lock actuator not working (no power to it), and cruise control not working. All fuses/bulbs/acutator are good. Could a bad keyless entry module and bad/missing illuminated entry module cause these problems (completing a circuit)? I THINK it used to have the illuminated entry module and the keyless entry module doesn't look that great. I don't have a key FOB to even know whether the keyless works or not. I'd really like to get this stuff working. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the car like this early last year. I'm not even sure it had the anti-theft and illuminated entry modules but it does have a keyless entry module. I'm pretty sure it's a bad keyless entry module (though I don't know about the cruise control problem). I accidently shorted out something on the KEM just a bit ago while messin' with it and the interior lights flashed on, doors locked themselves, trunk lock did something, and the horn honked. LOL! So, I know they work. Just gotta replace the module. But then I had to completely unhook the KEM because when I would start the car the interior lights would flash on and the trunk latch would release. With the KEM unplugged now the passenger's side door lock actuator doesn't work along with the dome lights and driver's door still not working. That's got to be the problem. (I hope)

Possible...I had a weird problem with mine where the door locks would continuously cycle trying to lock after the car was shut off. I unhooked the battery and let it sit for a while then hooked it up again and everything returned to normal. Recycled the system I guess.

Well, I went to a local mustang yard and got a keyless entry module from a 97. Woohoo!! Now the dome lights are working. Still no driver's door lock actuator. Now I just gotta hunt down some remotes (car didn't come with any and the yard didn't have any).

Anyways, any ideas why the actuator isn't getting power? I've checked fuses and even hooked up another actuator to the plug and it didn't work.

It'll probably take Ghostbusters to figure out why the cruise doesn't work.

First thing I need to know is if this car had remote keyless entry from the factory? did it already have a RKE module in it?

Second thing I need to know is does the passenger door lock and unlock? does the drivers door lock operate in one direction and not the other?

The reason I need to know this is the diagram is different depending on it having RKE from the factory. For now I am going to assume it did.

for the door lock concern check wires pk/bk, r/o pk/lg and pk/y

I am talking about the wire colors

pk/bk = pink with a black tracer

r/o = red with a orange tracer

pk/lg = pink with a light green tracer

pk/y = pink with a yellow tracer..

the first place I would look is the wire bundle in between the door and the body, it's a pain the in ass but open up the rubber boot and inspect the wires this is a common spot for wires to break due to the door opening and closing and exposure to weather.

If you can not find a open in the boot that runs from the body to the drivers door then I will try to guide you from there. other possible spots are along the floor near the rocker covers where the main harness runs.

It had RKE from the factory. The RKE module in the car went bad so I just replaced it with one from a 97. Before and after the RKE replacement: the driver's door lock actuator does not lock or unlock (lock operates fine manually). Passenger's side door lock actuator operates fine. Last fall I tried a second actuator on the driver's side that was supposed to be in working order. It would not work so no power thru the wires.

It had RKE from the factory. The RKE module in the car went bad so I just replaced it with one from a 97. Before and after the RKE replacement: the driver's door lock actuator does not lock or unlock (lock operates fine manually). Passenger's side door lock actuator operates fine. Last fall I tried a second actuator on the driver's side that was supposed to be in working order. It would not work so no power thru the wires.

did you check the wires where they run from the body to the door, many times I find broken wires in there..

Dummy fliped poles on a battery jump, No power locks

Hello there, I had to get a battery jump and the guy got the jumper cables backwards (I should have watched him). Now my keyless entry, dome lites, radio, clock and spedometer do not work. I have checked the fuses they are all ok, is there a fuseable link? It seems everything on the hot battery bus was afected. Any ideas???