electronic fan question

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I have a taurus fan I bought a while ago but didnt want to run it without upgrading my alternator. I believe my water pump is crapping out so I wanted to replace it all in one shot. How would adding this with a DCC controler effect my stock charging system?

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC, you're in the Phx area (?). If so, that fan is going to run at 100% duty cycle, even with a PWM controller. I would not want to try it (esp if you use the HVAC fan for the AC) on a 2G.

It will be a little wait for the controller - in the meanwhile you could scrounge a 3G and do the retrofit.

I run my fan at 100% when the intake sensor (190 degree) kick on. It also runs with the AC. I used it with my 2g but that alternator did not like the added load. My 3g has no problems with it.

I just installed my DCC controller last weekend. Its such a nice product, comes with absolutely everything you need. I hid mine behind the battery and the install looks factory.

I cant say enough good things about my DCC controller, beats the crap out of the old hacked together controller I had on there before.

And im gonna agree with the others, the stock alternator is extremely weak, I definitely wouldnt run a Taurus fan in the desert without a 3G alt.

Any idea how the fan from a '96 Crown Vic compares to that of the Taurus?

What controller would you recommend? I see that DCC has several to choose from. I have tried to get in contact with them for two weeks, to get their assistance with my selection. They have not returned any of my emails. Is this typical customer service from them?