Electronic Fuel Pump

nubbyfx

Oct 8, 2008
San Diego, CA
Just a few quick question. I have a 1967 with an inline 6, looking to upgrade to a electronic fuel pump. Does anyone happen to know the psi I should be running to a Holley model 1940 carb? Or the GPH rating of the pump? Thanx in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a crack in my current mechanical fuel pump. And as things wear out I usually try to replace the whole system (well as much as I can). So if I end up replaceing the fuel pump with an electric pump, new fuel line all the way to the tank, rebuild the carb, carb linkage, and reroute all the hoses in the engine compartment, It will give me piece of mind that the fuel system is not a piece of 41 year old crap and my engine compartment will look better, more cleaned up.

Just a few quick question. I have a 1967 with an inline 6, looking to upgrade to a electronic fuel pump. Does anyone happen to know the psi I should be running to a Holley model 1940 carb? Or the GPH rating of the pump? Thanx in advance.

Something like a MrGasket 12D pump will work just fine. 4-7 psi and 30 gal/hr. Autozone and Advance Auto Parts keep these in stock. I've got one on my 89 V8 Ranger and it's worked now for 7 years. But I do agree with the others about simply replacing the stock mech pump. They don't wear out that often.

If you cannot live without one, make sure to install some rubber insulators between the pump and the part of the car you are bolting it to. My Holly Blue is so damn loud it sounds like I am crushing 5 lbs of ice in a blender in my backseat while driving.

If you cannot live without one, make sure to install some rubber insulators between the pump and the part of the car you are bolting it to. My Holly Blue is so damn loud it sounds like I am crushing 5 lbs of ice in a blender in my backseat while driving.
The only way to quiet a Holley blue/red is to take it out of the car. I've heard probably nothing but complaints about those things. I have a new one in box that I bought before the intarweb became popular. I'm glad I read about it before installing it.

D.Hearne, I've looked into that pump but haven't had time to pick one up. Is it a free-floating inner impeller that flows fuel even when off? You can usually tell because they get quiet as pressure builds up and the impeller slows down. I'm thinking of using it as a prime pump since my carb bowls like to dry up after the car sits for a while.

The only way to quiet a Holley blue/red is to take it out of the car. I've heard probably nothing but complaints about those things.

That's funny. I hate my Holley Red pump and likewise plan on taking it out to use a stock mechanical instead. My old man got one for a '57 Ford project of his and decided to sell it after hearing mine.

I agree with everyone that says to replace the stock pump with a new stock pump. It's quiet, reliable, and a lot less hassle than an electric.

D.Hearne, I've looked into that pump but haven't had time to pick one up. Is it a free-floating inner impeller that flows fuel even when off? You can usually tell because they get quiet as pressure builds up and the impeller slows down. I'm thinking of using it as a prime pump since my carb bowls like to dry up after the car sits for a while.

As for the "free flow" part, that I can't tell you. It does get quieter as the fuel pressure builds. Autozone and Advance both stock them in their stores.

Thanks. Yeah I looked it up on partsamerica.com and it is in stock at my local store, or so it claims. Not always accurate - been there done that. I'll pick one up anyway and bench test it to make sure it flows freely. They don't have the Mr G one, but a Facet that looks similar.

i 've got to agree with the majority on this. put a mechanical back on. electric pumps are not required for a NA carb engine and i am certain it will cause you a significant amount of headaches.

should you absolutely positively need an electric pump get a A1000 and regulator and run at least -08AN supply and return lines. also either retrofit the existing tank to accept a return line and modify the sending unit to have a 1/2 feed line or just replace the whole thing with a fuel cell. i am only saying this because i wish i did that originally instead of wasting money on blue pumps and steel lines and then -06AN lines only to wind up replacing it all with what i just said. all because i wanted supercharged blowthru 500+hp . so if you anticipate that you will ultimately want to do that, do it right the first time. otherwise save your money and just replace the mechanical pump.

a warning about mr. gasket pumps. it seems there are several manufactures of the "clilcker" fuel pumps and the packagers ie mr.gasket, napa, echlin etc... buy from the lowest bidder and don't seem to be faithful to any.

if it has a plastic housing.. stay away i've never had one pump more than 10 tankfulls of fuel.

if its metal ive had one that went 30,000 miles till i put it in a demolition car, the other one i bought still works.