ELECTRONIC IGNITION QUESTION?

dodgeman60

Aug 4, 2009
wisconsin
HOWDY,
I AM THINKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE POINTS SYSTEM IN MY 65 COUPE 289 W/ 4 BARREL, AND CONVERTING TO ELECTRONIC IGNITION, WHAT DO I ALL NEED FOR THIS PROJECT, NEW DISTRIBUTOR SET UP, AND BOX? AND HOW MUCH SHOULD IT COST? AND WHAT IS THE BEST MSD, MALLORY,OR PETRONIX, WHAT COMPONENTS ARE NEEDED?
THANKS IN ADVANCE............!

• Sponsors (?)

ditch the points

if your distributor has a magnetic pickup you can keep it but you might want a new one anyway. any of the brands you mentioned are good also Summit Racing has a nice digital ign box which works great. Summit SUM-850602 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Multi-Spark Digital CD Ignitions – SummitRacing.com
I put one on my other stang last year,nice:) Watever you do, DO NOT buy any PRO COMP ignition products.:nono: there are a couple of sellers on ebay selling Pro Comp ignition box,distributor & coil sets. been there, done that, put them in the dumpster. I had nothing but problems:nonono: with the ign box & coil. :ban:the old saying comes to mind, you get what you pay for. I went the cheap route & payed for it big time, like spending valuable time chasing intermittent stumbling,misfires,hesitation,erratic timing jumps ect........ect..........
hope this helps

Just FYI first thing to do is turn off your caps lock, it's considered shouting. The cheapest route would be to install and electronic ignition kit in your dist., these cost $55-$80 from Petronix, Crane, etc. you can search on summit or jegs to find them. 'Best' is going to be a matter of choice I think, many use Petronix and are happy, I chose the Crane XRi since it has a built in rev limiter.
For full ignition - E. dist., coil, box there are even more choices and brands, again a search on perf. websites will explain differences. There are new ones out by MSD and Crane that are self sufficient and give you more options for tuning but of course are more expensive (~$350 if I recall).
Jon

ditch the points

any of the brands you mentioned are good,also, Summit racing makes a nice Digital ign box w/rev limiter that works great, part# SUM-850602 I have this exact one on my other stang.
if your distributor has a magnetic pickup then it will work fine.
whatever you do, DO NOT buy any:nono: Pro Comp ignition products. been there,done that,nothing but problems:nonono:. I spent valuable time trying to find the cause of several problems, erratic misfire/stumbling/hesitation, erratic timing jumps ect............ there are a couple of sellers on ebay selling Pro "Crap" ignition sets,(ign box,coil & distributor) thats what I did & ended up putting it all in the dumpster. hope this helps

in my opinion the least expensive way to go, and it is just as good as the high dollar stuff for the street, is to get a rebuilt duraspark distributor from your local checker, or other parts store. then go over the the summit racing website and grab a chrysler ignition box, the upgraded orange box is the one i use, and a wiring harness for the box. that should run you something like $75 or so for everything ot this point. then go over to the gofastforless.com website and check out the electronic ignition pages, as they have the wiring diagram for hooking the ford distributor to the chrysler box. this combo works great.