• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Emergency Brake Cables

  • Thread starter Thread starter pj1
  • Start date Start date Jan 3, 2008
P

pj1

Member
Jan 1, 2003
57
0
6
Calif
Jan 3, 2008
#1
  • Jan 3, 2008
  • #1
Hi, I've got a '65 Vert. While I haven't posted much, I've been reading and learning for a number of years.


I recently put on X exhaust pipes.
The E brake cables are routed thru the drive shaft tunnel, and to a U shaped device. The problem, is that each cable lies across about 1 foot of exhaust pipe. The cable coating quickly burns and eventually the wire breaks.

While the car is a '65, it appears the the leverage arm which the U shaped device is conntect to, is from a '66. I believe that a '65 has 2 separate E brake cables.

I think all I need to do is wrap the 1 foot of exhaust pipe. Then the wire can lay on the wrapping and then I'm off to the next project.

This can't be a unique problem.

Thanks
 
M

mysavioreigns

New Member
Mar 2, 2007
23
0
0
Arlington, TX
Jan 4, 2008
#2
  • Jan 4, 2008
  • #2
Dang, your exhaust must be hot. My parking brake cable (it's not an E-brake) never worked and kept hittin the driveshaft, so I tied it to the exhaust pipe. No problems...

It's made of steel cable, how did it break?
 

BullittStangV8

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
1,104
0
36
NJ
Jan 4, 2008
#3
  • Jan 4, 2008
  • #3
The 65 and 64.5 do have two seperate e-brake cables.
 

Cobain03

Active Member
Aug 27, 2003
996
0
36
Lexington, Ky
Jan 4, 2008
#4
  • Jan 4, 2008
  • #4
one cable goes to each wheel and tie together in the middle on my 65. It has that u shape device that connects them and thats where you adjust it too.
 
M

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
2,976
1
56
North Carolina
Jan 4, 2008
#5
  • Jan 4, 2008
  • #5
Personally, I would modify the exhaust so it didn't touch. BTW mysavioureigns, if you don't think think the parking brake is an E-brake, what are you going to do if the brakes fail? open the door and drag your feet?
 

Cobain03

Active Member
Aug 27, 2003
996
0
36
Lexington, Ky
Jan 5, 2008
#6
  • Jan 5, 2008
  • #6
Flintstone it! lol
 
P

pj1

Member
Jan 1, 2003
57
0
6
Calif
Jan 6, 2008
#7
  • Jan 6, 2008
  • #7
Thanks for the help

mysavioreigns - both cables insulation were melted to the pipe. The next step would be for the cable itself to burn/break. The car is mainly driven in the mountains. Lots of full throttle time. Maybe that generates more heat?

I'm going to put a spring connected to the top of the driveshaft tunnel and the ebrake cable. That will hold the cable off the pipes and let the cable straighten out when in use, with no cable binding or bends.

In addition, I'm going to wrap the pipe for about 1 foot. That's should fix it.

I'm not sure how I can redo the exhaust pipes. They sit pretty low already and there just isn't much room in the tunnel for 2 pipes and the drive shaft.

One additional piece of information, the cables seem to have a little too much slack in them. I'm not sure why. But that is probably a contributing factor.

Thanks for the help. I've learned a lot about Mustangs on this forum.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Emergency brake causing starting issue, need help.
  • Ace2203
  • Feb 5, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
312
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
360
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
What's your tow rig?
  • LILCBRA
  • May 31, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
6
Views
298
Other Auto Tech Oct 4, 2026
JD1964
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
363
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?