engine balance... please help!!!!!

brettlanphere

Mar 19, 2010
camby, in
hi. i have a 331 stroker that was built by an AWESOME engine builder in chicago. i know for sure that he balanced the crank by itself... i have an aluminum fidanza flywheel. he told me to add 28 oz weight to the flywheel and marked the spot. i did that. i ran the car a while then it sat for two years... i got it running again the other day.. now i have a HORRIBLE vibration at high rpm in all gears, even in neutral with the cltch pushed in. based on what i have read online when the crank is balanced seperate you add a zero offset balancer and flywheel... so now im confused. should i have added weight to the flyhweel or not? and what kind of balancer do i need o buy? zero offset, 28 offset or 50? i know this vibration has to go or it will tear up my expensive engine. i really really need some help with this.. hope you guys can help out

• Sponsors (?)

the balancer and flywheel have to be balanced the same. so if he told you to put a 28 oz flywheel on then you need to verify that and and the HB is also 28oz. But like Richard said, check with him before you start taking stuff apart.

Most stroker cranks build today are internal balance. It's possible, but unlikely you have a 28oz imbalance crankshaft. The most important thing is that the harmonic balancer is also a 50oz imbalance.

Kurt