Engine Build questions

I have a 331 shortblock being built for my car I was just wondering about a couple of things whether I need them or not. First should I change my lifters? They are stock but have no scaring or excessive wear. The car only has 72000 km on it. Next do I need a different oil pan and oil pump. I heard strokers need more oil. Also what type of harmonic balancer should I run with this motor. Everything else has been done and I have a vortech s trim blower.
Last question being will tall valve covers clear below my upper intake. It is a trickflow street intake. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

• Sponsors (?)

Lifters are 100 bucks new from ford, so thats your call. As for strokers needing more oil, thats nonsense. You can run either a standard volume or hi volume melling pump depending on your bearing clearances, if you run a hi volume pump the thing you need to address is the oil drainbacks, the HV pump doesnt suck the pan dry, its the lack of adequate oil return in combination with the HV pump that makes people believe the HV pumps suck the pan dry. As for new oil pan, thats your call. Its not needed. I know nothing about efi stuff.

Your stock oil pan will fit, and a new oil pump would be a good idea. I would go with the standard volume oil pump, and make sure you get a new pump driveshaft too. get the best harmonic balancer you can afford. ask your engine builder to be sure, but most stroker kits are balanced for a 28 oz balancer, not a 50 oz balancer which comes stock on the 5.0 also, your balancer has to match your flywheel. as for the valve covers, I have trick flow heads, cobra intake manifold, 1.6 roller rockers. trick flow valve covers (part # TFS-51400801) work fine. you will have to buy the oil fill tube separately and drill a hole for it. I didn't like the idea of doing this at first, but it turned out fine. I may have a balancer and flywheel for sale, let me know if you're interested.

All the guys are right. The standard or high volume pump is a choice, I went with the high volume and a Canton 7 quart pan. I like the idea of increased capacity and additional oil. The power it takes to drive a high volume pump wouldn't even be noticed but you'll definately need a hardened driveshaft for it or it'll turn into a twisty pretzel. You'll need the 28 ounce balancer and flywheel. I have TFS Street Heat heads and TFS Track Heat intake. You'll need at the very least a 1" spacer to clear the throttle body/ cable bracket. Plenty of room on the driver's side and then about 1/4 inch over the valve cover on the rider's side in my combo.