Engine code question

Larry67

May 13, 2009
When I decoded my engine number on my 67 289, I found that it was originally from a 65 Galaxie. If I put in an engine that has a code for a 67 mustang, will this make it a "numbers matching" car ,or is there something else involved?

• Sponsors (?)

When I decoded my engine number on my 67 289, I found that it was originally from a 65 Galaxie. If I put in an engine that has a code for a 67 mustang, will this make it a "numbers matching" car ,or is there something else involved?

What number? The Galaxie and Mustang used the same engines, other than small differences like air cleaner. "Matching numbers" means you have date codes which sugggest that the engine in your car is the one it originally came with. Performance models, and many late-67 on cars, have a partial VIN stamped on them. Your 65 289 will not have this.

Thanks 2+2 G T,

Apparently, I got some wrong information from a certain website. My engine number is C 5 AE 6015 E. Another site, MustangTek, agrees that this code could be any 289 from 65 to 68. Thanks for the info.
Larry

a "matching numbers car" usually means that the vin number that is stamped on the block is the same as the cars vin number. very few cars have the vin number stamped on the engine, and they are low volume cars where teh factory can take the time to do the stamping.

Thanks 2+2 G T,

Apparently, I got some wrong information from a certain website. My engine number is C 5 AE 6015 E. Another site, MustangTek, agrees that this code could be any 289 from 65 to 68. Thanks for the info.
Larry

The "A" in the prefixe only tells you what vehicle line the engineering costs were assigned to. It in no way denotes what vehicle the block was installed in.

Larry, You need to know the difference between Engineering numbers,date casting numbers & part numbers

Engineering/Identification numbers on Ford parts show which Carline they were DESIGNED for.

Engines in Mustangs were designed for Main For car lines Like Galaxies ( A) & Fairlanes ( O)

That is why you see C6AE, C6OE numbers on Engine parts

Had that engine been cast SPECIFICALLY for a MUSTANG it would read like this C6ZE-

with the Z denoting a Mustang

The 289 was first designed for a 1964 Large Ford car.....but used in Falcon,Fairlane,Mustang

The Suffix on these numbers denoted Change up's the part has received.
This change can be as minor as a threaded bolt hole to accomodate a bracket

as in C6AE- A , -B -C etc

HTH's