engine identification help

okay this mustang i bought is an 87 but i was told it has a 95 5.0 engine in it. i am trying to find out cause the maf sensor wiring has been cut and i don't know how to wire it back up. also i think the computer is shot and i need to know if i need to buy computer for 87 or the 95 thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

the VIN will just say if the car came with a 5.0L or a 2.3L, not the year of the engine that someone may have changed it to.

he could also check the code on the block but that won't be definitive either.

sicstang: if the TFI module in on the distributor then you probably have th 87 wiring in it. if it's on the passager fender then you probably have the 95 wiring in it.

the VIN will just say if the car came with a 5.0L or a 2.3L, not the year of the engine that someone may have changed it to.

he could also check the code on the block but that won't be definitive either.

sicstang: if the TFI module in on the distributor then you probably have th 87 wiring in it. if it's on the passager fender then you probably have the 95 wiring in it.

Ah! my bad. I though he was looking for the engine that was in the car stock. Nevermind then.

+1 on the wiring, the 87 should have a little black plastic cover over a hole (passenger fender right before the CAI hole) whereas the 95 has wiring going through it.

I could be wrong, but thats what I've noticed in the past.

More than likely, the car is being run on the '87's speed density computer system. The MAF wiring is prob cut because it wasn't needed.

The year of the engine doesn't really matter, there are physically differences such as accessories and upper intake and TB and such, but either engine will with with either computer system provided all necessary sensors are hooked up

PUll your passenger kick panel and post up the EEC numbers