Engine rebuild 99 GT

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
I had a spark plug come out of the PI heads on my motor. While the shop looked at it they told me I had low compression in 4 of the 8 cylinders. Presumably due to the rings going bad. (Had an issue running it a long time ago with low oil.. doh.)

I am going to be pulling the engine out and inspecting the cylinder walls. If they are in good shape can I just install new rings and put it all back togather. With Stock pistons and rods. Should I use new rod and main bearings and all new gaskets? I am hoping to get away from having the block machined at all.

I am looking at replacing the heads with the new Trick flow heads. Will the stock pistons/rods handle these new heads and a set of cams?

What are peoples thoughts on stroker/larger bore engine builds?

Just looking for some general input tips, tricks or any input. Am I crazy to re-use the stock bottom end assuming it is in ok shape. This will be my first engine rebuild.

If you're going to pull it apart, it only makes sense to inspect and replace the main and rod bearings along with the piston rings. Unless there was any damage done, a good honing of the cylinder walls just to gain a little friction for the rings isn't a bad idea. This would be a good time to replace your stock intake, with the one with the aluminum crossover if you haven’t already.

I havn't replaced the stock intake. But I good idea I had not thought of.
Can I used stock sized bearings for rods and crank?

What are your HP goals? Budget? How much work do you want to do yourself? How would you feel if after putting the motor back it, you had to take it back out again? Is this your DD or weekend toy?

IMO, all of these questions should be reviewed before deciding what is "best" for you.

If the engine has been run low on oil, I would have a hard time re-using anything without a complete going over.

What is the reason for reusing the stock bottom end without machining? Is it because of budget constraints? If so, you may put in a lot of work that may have to be re-done.

Explore the salvge yard route. You may find it cheaper to purchase a whole salvage yard motor than the cost of machining the old block. Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. Note, for a salvage motor you may find it cheaper to do the Windsor/Romeo swap. Low mileage 1999-2000 Mustang Windsors are hard to find.

If you lived in Texas, I could make a deal on a 2000 Mustang Windsor.

HP Goals are 320-350 rwhp with the trickflow heads, cams and intake. Hope this isn't a pipe dream. I can't do Long tubes because of mass emission laws.
The budget is what it takes to get the car back up and running. I want to do it as cheap as possible while upgrading as much as possible.

If I had to pull the motor back out it would suck, but It wouldnt kill me. This is a toy and isn't my main car.

I plan on taking everything apart and inspecting all of it. I didn't know if I really needed everything machined or not. What are the costs for basic machining?

I did look at some salvage motors and there are some semi decent deals. Not many that are the windsor build, I would prefer to not have to install a new flywheel and all.

I would like to do it all as cheap as possible. toss the head, cam and intake on top get it tuned and see what its got for power.

Run low on oil to the point that you've got bad compression would worry me if I was planning on making performance upgrades. I'd feel much more comfortable either rebuilding it or throwing a low-mile junkyard motor under those TFS heads, even if you have to swap a few parts around to make it work.

Can I used stock sized bearings for rods and crank?

As long as you were holding oil pressure throughout your normal operating temperature range, your crank is probably in decent shape, but you’ll not know for certain until you get it apart. When you have it apart visually inspect if for any excessive wear or scoring. Anything deep enough that catches your thumbnail in while running it across will likely mean that you probably need to have the crankshaft turned....in which case you would need a set of undersized bearings.

Assuming everything visually checks out with the crank shaft, you can check their clearance with some Plastigage. There should be approx 0.025-0.045mm clearance on the mains and 0.027-0.069mm on the rods according to some of the specs I found.

These specs are for a 4V Mach 1 engine, but the short blocks are virtually identical, as such the specs should essentially be the same as your 2V.

Mach 1 Technical Specifications

Thanks all for the help. I will post here when the motor comes out over thanksgiving. Maybe some pics too. This will def be a learning experience hopefully it runs when I put it all back together!!!

Is there anyone on stangnet who has put the TF heads on a stock shortblock. Any Idea what kind of power they made?