• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Engine runs hot and misses at idle.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Edster
  • Start date Start date May 19, 2008

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
500
1
19
League City, Texas
May 19, 2008
#1
  • May 19, 2008
  • #1
The radiator puked out the overflow after I had shut the car off. I had it idling for some time to see if I could chase down a miss it has while idling. The car runs fine when the temp is 200F or below. Above that it has a slight miss at idle and it has a flat spot right off idle. I've cleaned the carb and rebuilt it. I've played w/ the timing, adjusted the vac advance. The ignition is a Pertronix Ignigtor II with an MDS Blaster 2 coil. I've plugged the PCV to see if that's the problem but to no avail. The car pulls fine from part throttle to full throttle all the way 'till "redline".

The engine is out of a '64 Falcon I built back in 91 and approximately 6000 miles.
I never had a problem withe the idle or the engine running hot in the Falcon. When I had the Falcon I was stationed in Virginia so the climate may have something to do with it but when I put the engine in the Mustang I also added a direct fit aluminum radiator w/ an electric fan to help compensate for the hotter climate in Texas (where I am now).
I must be missing something, I can't figure out why it would get hot like it does in the Mustang and not the Falcon. The other difference is The Falcon had a 2 1/4 exhaust with Dynomax turbo muffles couple to a set of Heddman Headers. The Mustang has Tri-Y headers and a 2in exhaust with generic muffler shop turbo mufflers. Could it be the exhaust is too small and not allowing the engine to get rid of the heat fast enough? I know this was a problem on the Ironheard XR750s back in the seventies but never heard of the problem on an automobile. The car has set for several years as well and I am trying to work all the bugs out of it. I'm stumped. Does anyone have any insight?
 

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
500
1
19
League City, Texas
May 19, 2008
#2
  • May 19, 2008
  • #2
A few more things...

I forgot to mention the off idle stumble was really bad until I realized the vac. advance was not connected. After I connected it to ported vacuum it doesn't stumble as bad.

I never set the timing by a light I reckoned I'd do it by ear, however w/o a light I have no base line. I had it where it would detonate at heavy acceleration at part throttle but not full throttle which is fine. I backed the timing off a bit and had some minor detonation. Still gets hot though.
 

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
May 20, 2008
#3
  • May 20, 2008
  • #3
Sounds like a tiing issue to me. Put a light on it, and see where you are at. Also, you should check your carb adjustments with a vacuum gauge.
Try spraying some soapy water around all your hose connections as well, you could have a hard to see cracked vacuum line somewhere....
 

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
500
1
19
League City, Texas
May 20, 2008
#4
  • May 20, 2008
  • #4
Thanks,
I'll check that out, the vacuum line connected to the distributor does fit a little loose. And I definitely put a timing light on it to see where it is. I may be way to advanced. I hope it is that simple.
 

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
500
1
19
League City, Texas
May 26, 2008
#5
  • May 26, 2008
  • #5
Update to problem

Well I put a light on it and discovered I have no indicator on the timing cover. I guestimated where it was then marked it and the pulley where it is supposed to be. I was close and started to reard the timing little by little 'til it wouldn't ping anymore. I also replaced the vacuum lines. The temp guage (aftermarket mounted under the dash) was bad. So I connected the original factory guage and stuck a dial thermometer in the radiator wher the water flows in from the engine. The needle on the guage gets no higher than a little past half way and the thermometer stays between 180 and 210. When idling for long periods of time the thermometer gets about 215 to 220 but the radiator doesn't puke. The idling as smothe out and does have a slight miss only at idle eventhough I have tweaked it many times. I'm wondering if it could be the plug wires, but it doesn't miss above that.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
415
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Saturday at 7:48 PM
AlexM556
A
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
440
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
K
Resolved Need some assistance. Holley Terminator X alongside H/C/I. Very rough/inconsistent idle
  • karhoot
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
139
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 6, 2026
karhoot
K
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
527
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?