Engine Engine Started Making This Noise. Any Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you both very much for the help. I will begin investigating if there is a leak from the manifold. Would you all recommend trying to tighten everything back up or take it to a shop?

Yeah it's hard to tell just from listening to the video but it sounds more like a phaser knock to me than an exhaust manifold leak. Try using a length of rubber pipe as a stethoscope to localize the noise.

I was listening from my Iphone, but it sounds like a top end clatter. Best advice, buy a stethoscope, or use a long screwdriver. Put handle of driver to ear, run along valve covers, see if you can isolate. Also check around timing cover very carefully. If noise is up there, it's possibly cam phaser or broken cam chain tensioner, causing excessive movement in chains. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After listening with a big screwdriver I can't seem to isolate the noise but it sounds like it is coming from under the top of the intake. I'm going to try and get the car on some ramps to listen to things underneath the car and rule that out.

Mine started making a similar noise about a week ago. Strongest on the passenger side, seems to be in the middle. I haven't isolated it yet, but the car still runs well. It scares me, I don't want a timing chain jumping.

I work at lot with Ford expedition diagnosis on another forum. Same basic engines. We have had a few members that had a problem with a faulty valve lifter on their 4.6/5.4 engines. Their were two that I remember that had a valve rocker arm fail. If you hear your noise coming from intake/ head area and not front of cam chain area. Your probably looking at a cylinder head issue. If you want to check your Exaust manifold, get in their and snug the bolts up carefully. If they seem rusty or stuck, stop. After put on a thick garden or mechanic glove, fire up when cold to lightly warm, run your hand along manifold feel for leaks. Do the same at collector where header goes to donut. 90 percent of tests on your vehicle can be done at home.

Reactions: 1 user
RyanGT7, let us know what you find. I hope to have time this weekend to look closer at mine. I think what Moosee1955 says fits mine, perhaps a rocker or lifter, but check exhaust manifold too. Yours seems to be louder than mine, but you can't tell on video. I am also going to try Gearbanger 101's tip and listen how the RPMs affect it.

I work at lot with Ford expedition diagnosis on another forum. Same basic engines. We have had a few members that had a problem with a faulty valve lifter on their 4.6/5.4 engines. Their were two that I remember that had a valve rocker arm fail. If you hear your noise coming from intake/ head area and not front of cam chain area. Your probably looking at a cylinder head issue. If you want to check your Exaust manifold, get in their and snug the bolts up carefully. If they seem rusty or stuck, stop. After put on a thick garden or mechanic glove, fire up when cold to lightly warm, run your hand along manifold feel for leaks. Do the same at collector where header goes to donut. 90 percent of tests on your vehicle can be done at home.

Thank you all. Mine is still there through all RPM. Going to tighten all manifold bolts and then will report back. I'll keep this thread updated when I narrow down what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw and heard a similar sounding motor on YouTube a few month ago, it was an F-150 Ford and the noise appeared only after he installed an after market cold air intake...I noticed you have one, how long have you had your intake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk