Engine starts, but will not run

Dickj

Nov 9, 2022
Graham WA
I have a 73 Mustang with 351C. Drove the car home, ran fine started going into the garage it quit and will not start. It fires, quits and I heard a noise under the car. New starter, solenoid, leads and put in a new ignition switch. Still the same thing ! Took my HEI distributer out and put a standard points, coil setup in , same thing. What bothers me is the noise under neath ? I did check to voltage to the coil from the ignition switch 7.5 volts. Sounds like a hung starter, looked at the flywheel teeth, looked good. Engine is fairly new long block,less than 10,000 miles. Thinking maybe it jumped time, but it should have a new timing chain. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 18AC7814-1853-41A6-9E2B-A18A7B18270D.jpeg
    18AC7814-1853-41A6-9E2B-A18A7B18270D.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 448204B5-5A7A-435E-83ED-A31D1C81A4FE.jpeg
    448204B5-5A7A-435E-83ED-A31D1C81A4FE.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

Jumping time on a pushrod engine is far more unlikely than it is on an OHC engine. Can you turn the engine over by hand(IE, by using a socket and ratchet and turning the crank bolt)? The car would need to be in neutral.

Reactions: 1 user
You say it tries to start....ae you saying that the starter solenoid is failing to disengage? What I mean by starter solenoid is the little plunger with the gear on it in the starter itself...not that firewall mounted thing people refer to as the starter solenoid.

Power interruption to the coil?
With points, you have the ( I ) wire from the solenoid to the coil, providing full 12v to the coil when in start right?
It might be starting / running on only that? then the interruption? Then dies?
A spark tester installed when it dies might help
Check the carb idle circuit (plugged) blow some compressed air thru the idle mixture screw holes
Sounds electrical to me

Power interruption to the coil?
With points, you have the ( I ) wire from the solenoid to the coil, providing full 12v to the coil when in start right?
It might be starting / running on only that? then the interruption? Then dies?
A spark tester installed when it dies might help
Check the carb idle circuit (plugged) blow some compressed air thru the idle mixture screw holes
Sounds electrical to me
7.5/volts to the coil, resistance wire. Looking at bad gas or plugged fuel.