Engine Tick Help

I have a 2004 Mustang 4.6 SOHC. I recently had to put a new motor in it. While I was putting it in I put on trick flow valve springs and Doherty racing cams. Also has pypes long tube headers on it. I got it all put back together and now it has a slight tick sound like an exhaust leak. I have taken both headers back off and cleaned them up and put new gaskets on them, Replaced the passenger lash adjusters as the noise is more prominent on the passenger side and I thought that might be the culprit but no luck. Also took the timing cover back off and noticed one tensioner wasn't pumping up correctly so replaced that too. Still no luck. Car still runs good it just has this annoying tick. It isn't a rod bearing either. I have heard those go and this isn't that. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

hey bud, I actualy am haveing almost the same problem except its on my drive's side and its a small matallic tick. Im thinking its a valve not seeting right or maby a rocker is tapping. It also fallows the RPMs as they go up the tick gets faster.

see if the cats/res have a loose id plate under the heat shields. they sound alot like valve-trane noise or exh. leaks if they come loose. its just a small thin plate tac welded to the cats/res and the tacs rust off

You might verify that the spark plugs are all tight. In earlier 4.6s plug back-out could be a problem and its onset would manifest as a tick sounding much like an exhaust leak. It would, of course, culminate in the plug being ejected from the head taking some threads and the COP (if so equipped) along with it.