Engine Ticking After Underdrive Pulley and Header Install

RockoD2

Apr 20, 2019
California
Got a 99 v6 with little over 100k ..Recently after getting a tune-up and compression check..All cylinders good. I decided to put on a underdrive pulley , and set of BBk headers. Had a franchise shop put em on. BIG MISTAKE. After getting the car back I noticed a loud tick. Not the exhaust. I returned it to them. The tick isnt gone but quieter . They refuse to take responsibility . Anyways..Its gotta be ike a valve , rod , bearing , lifter..or i dunno ..But I also seem to hear a metal ticking in the sump area under too. Could the Underdrive pulley have messed with the Timming during install?...Could the underdrive pulley affected the oil pump?...Could the underdrive pulley affected the spark output?...I upgraded my Alternator to the highest wattage output available. Car runs good..Underdrive pulley unlocked a lot of power so I cant tell if its lost power. The TICk or Clack..gets louder in gear specially..But seems to subside in idle. regardless of what rpms...Looks like I need a new engine..Im at a loss..Any help would on possible causes or remedies would greatly help.

Naturally ASSpirated,
RockoD2

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Seriously though:

What have you done to localise the tick/knock? Do you have an automotive stethoscope handy or really long screwdriver?

I'm not certain how much help we can be when 3 mechanics looked directly at it and couldn't tell you why it's ticking.

What is your electrical system voltage at idle?

Are there any latent codes in EEC?

Does the noise completely disappear at idle in neutral?

Is there metal in the pan?