Engine wiring carbed

gunmetal5.0

May 10, 2006
Chico, CA
Installing new wiring harness. I'm running an MSD 6a box a holley 4 barrel a 3 wire distributor for an 85 stang an accel coil new starter and starter relay new alternator and external regulator. I've got it setup like this:

diagram.JPG

I've got the fuel pump coming on with key on and engine on key positions which is good. Nothing from the engine yet. ANY help is much appreciated. I tried to be as thorough as I could with the diagram sorry it's amateur. Thanks. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Turn the key on and check the small red with a test light. Unless you just haven't tried the ignition yet. Not sure if "Nothing from the engine yet" means you tried it and it won't work or you haven't tried it yet.

okay. I'm wondering why is the car not cranking over. The green wire that's labeled as coming out of the painless style harness and stops short of the starter relay. The starter relay has a small post on top marked "s" which this starter wire is hooked up to. Looks like I didn't finish that on the diagram. As for the red wire, I thought the wire marked "coil" coming out of the 'painless style harness' on the top middle was the 12v source.

okay. I'm wondering why is the car not cranking over. The green wire that's labeled as coming out of the painless style harness and stops short of the starter relay. The starter relay has a small post on top marked "s" which this starter wire is hooked up to. Looks like I didn't finish that on the diagram. As for the red wire, I thought the wire marked "coil" coming out of the 'painless style harness' on the top middle was the 12v source.

First off you need to find the wire in the painless harness that's supplying 12 v in the start key position with a test light. That should hook to to the s terminal on the solenoid. Looks like the green wire on your diagram. Start with that. You could start it by tripping a screwdriver from the hot terminal on the solonoid to the s terminal. That won't fix your problem but, you can test the ignition and fire it up.

oh so that Has to be hooked up or u wont get action from starter? Cuz I have the ignition switch(i bought a painless 4 wire switch) and hooked it up like in the upper left of the diagram from the inner section of the harness. Well now I need to look for the line for the neutral safety. My car has a t5 now. The switch will be under there somewhere. I need to wire the reverse light switch also but right now I just want to start the car =/

If you want to start it, just turn the key on. (Make sure you're in neutral) and touch a screwdriver from the battery post on the solenoid to the s post. It'll crank and fire up unless there's other wiring issues.

I may try that. First i'd like to run the neutral switch. Do you see it anywhere on these instructions? http://files.thehoffmangroup.com/instructions/KICK_KICKD.pdf The last couple pages shows what wires go to the front, dash, steering column, engine and rear sections. I've got the brake lights coming on when I press the brake pedal. I have the fuel pump coming on when I turn the key to run and on. But getting nothing from the engine. I know everything worked before (MSD, distributor). The alternator is new as is the regulator. they're for an 85 (since its carbed now). trying to find clutch switch wiring...

Well i havent tried it with the clutch in because there is no wiring from the harness going to it so it wouldnt do anything anyway. car was in neutral though. it sounds to me like you're right though, the car isn't bypassing this switch and it has to be hooked up or bypassed with a toggle switch. gotta find it.

Lol no they're not much for directions and their tech support hasnt done anything for me yet. I've gotten all new painless wiring switches (turn signal, headlight, dimmer, wiper ignition switches) and I talked with msd tech support online and on the phone and confirmed that I have that part wired right with the distributor and msd wiring. So hopefully I do. But as far as the rest of the harness they said i'd have to check with the maker of the harness....

Okay, thank you. That rules one thing out. I'm fairly sure of the new alternator setup. It's done just like the externally regulated setup in the diagram in the instructions link. that's why i bought those new, the efi alternator would have been less direct to hook up i think.