Entire exhaust system welded

What are my options? I need to replace the clutch on the coupe I recently purchased but the entire exhaust system is welded together. And I mean everything. BBK LT headers are welded to the catted H-pipe, extension between the H-pipe and Flowmaster mufflers are welded, the pieces over the read axles are welded, as are chrome pipes. The exhaust system is brand new so I'd hate to just start cutting. I'm thinking my only option is to pull the engine since I cannot drop the T5. I'd love to hear any suggestions on changing the clutch. And to why somebody would weld an exhaust system together.

(Bit of background: I bought the car over the internet 1300 miles away. The car is in excellent shape and the guy supplied the photos to prove it. I crawled under the car when I flew down to pick up the car and the exhaust system had mechanical fasteners on all the joints so I didn't inquire further. I come to find out only after removing the mechanical fasteners everything is welded.)

• Sponsors (?)

I just ran into this with my friends car. there is no way you are going to drop them without cutting. cut them off and take the headers/midpipe to the shop and have new flanges welded on so you can bolt them in the way they are supposed to be.

+1 for cutting it off. Get a set of V-band clamps welded to it and call it a day, cut the exhaust at the header and after whatever midpipe is on there

lol i'm kinda in the same boat. my entire exhaust is welded from midpipe back, not to my headers though. i need to pull my transmission but cant drop my exhaust cause of the tailpipes going over the axle. i'm just gonna cut the tails off again. get them hung the right way later. i have a reallllly crappy muffler shop-made exhaust right now though, so i didn't care.

When I broke the 3-4 Shift fork in my old T5, i got the trans out without taking out the exhaust. I pulled the 4 trans to bell bolts, pulled the DS, pulled out the mount, pulled out the shifter, pulled out the X-member, and slid it back til then inputshaft fell from the bell housing, then pushed it out the front, went in reverse. my pipes are fully welded except to the shorty's, but I left them hooked up.

I'd take it to an exhaust shop, and tell them to "make" you a midpipe. Basically cut the exhaust after the collectors and before the mufflers and weld on the ball-and-socket flanges.

You never know when you'll need to drop the exhaust for a repair.

Friend of mine ran into this on his car. Weld to muffler shop where they WELDED the entire exhaust together from headers back. Cost him $800 or so. 2 weeks later, AOD blows.....had to take the sawzall to the exhaust

I'd take it to an exhaust shop, and tell them to "make" you a midpipe. Basically cut the exhaust after the collectors and before the mufflers and weld on the ball-and-socket flanges.

You never know when you'll need to drop the exhaust for a repair.

Friend of mine ran into this on his car. Weld to muffler shop where they WELDED the entire exhaust together from headers back. Cost him $800 or so. 2 weeks later, AOD blows.....had to take the sawzall to the exhaust

Best advice you have gotten so far. It won't be cheap, but it will work good.

The ball and socket joints will allow you to align the pipes so that they do not rub. If you change anything in the rear - tires, wheels or suspension, you may have to realign the exhaust pipes to keep them from rubbing. The ball and socket joints make it simple to move the pipes around so they don't rub.