Ever have problems getting the oil pump shaft out? I've got your hook up...

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this, and most people never have the need to pull the oil pump shaft out...but if you do like i've had to then you might have tried one of those magnet deals only to find that everything down there is magnetic and that won't work. If you don't have one of those little claw picker-upper deals then you're pretty much screwed.

Well, my buddy got the idea to try to use some large vacuum hose...which worked so so, and then we got the idea to cut about an inch and a half and slip it over the end of a 1/4 inch extension that's long enough to reach the shaft...and jam the piece of hose down over the shaft and viola, out comes the shaft.

This is one of those little tips that will save you a LOT of headache.

• Sponsors (?)

There is supposed to be a funny looking star washer thingy that fits on the oil pump shaft where it faces the top of the crankcase. It's purpose is to prevent the shaft from being pulled out of the oil pump when you remove the distributor. You put the washer thingy on the oil pump shaft and install the shaft in the oil pump. Then you bolt the oil pump in place.

If the washer thingy is in place like it should be, your little trick won't work.

Hmmm no idea about that. I have an ARP shaft...maybe that's why i don't have the thingy?

The reason for pulling it out is because the extra weight of the ARP shaft tends to make it lean to the side of the opening of the pump, which makes it a real PITA to get the distributor down onto it. It's much easier to just pull the shaft out and put it in the distributor and put a small drop of super glue on it to hold it in place (NOT a big deal, still very easy to get back out of the distributor). This way you can drop the whole setup down into the pump and be done with it.

My ARP shaft has the jam washer thing on it.

I had a good time trying to get the dizzy down onto the shaft, my buddy gave me the idea to cake the hole with grease to help keep the shaft in the center of the hole; it helped, but it was still a PITA.

There is supposed to be a funny looking star washer thingy that fits on the oil pump shaft where it faces the top of the crankcase. It's purpose is to prevent the shaft from being pulled out of the oil pump when you remove the distributor. You put the washer thingy on the oil pump shaft and install the shaft in the oil pump. Then you bolt the oil pump in place.

If the washer thingy is in place like it should be, your little trick won't work.

What he said, I have a arp too and the star washer I suppose its called wont allow it to come out that way for the reasin jrichker said.

Hmmm so where was i supposed to get this washer deal? We sorta skipped that on the build up...oh well, not like it's hurting anything now.

It comes already installed on the shaft... I guess yours didnt have one. Well that's not as bad as the ARP head bolt I got with no threads, that set my engine build back a week. They sent me a free replacement of course. Just be cautious when you pull the dizzy in the future, a shaft in the oil pan would suck.

Well mine was actually used...came with my 347 but it wasn't in there. I find that it's easier to just super glue the shaft into the distributor and drop it in (although every time i touch a distributor i jack something up).