everyone with trick flow stage 1 cam please!

mootang

Dec 5, 2004
texas
I have a trick flow stage 1 cam sitting in my room and its going in after christmas. I just want to hear from people running this cam. what do you like? dislike? about it. :nice: or :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have the TFS stage 1 cam.

Things I like:
1. hasn't stalled or died on me with no tune
2. really gets the car going 3000+ rpms
3. runs better than I expected
4. car sounds freakin awesome
5. dirt cheap
6. hasn't let me down as a daily driver
7. will be good if I decide to go poweradder.

Things I don't like:
1. under 3000 rpms could have more grunt
2. begins to buck at 1500rpm (most cams)
3. knowing I left power on the table compared to a custom or bigger cam
4. new surge (800-1200rpms) until warmed up <40* outside.

I ran this in my old setup and it is also in the new one. With no tune it ran fine for the most part. At cold startup or when it was cold out it would stall if left to idle on its own. Every once and a blue moon it would die at a stoplight if I slowed down too fast seemed the idle just droped to fast and it could not recover. Driving there was alittle bit of bucking at low speeds/light throt. like you were taping the gas even though you were not. The power was about stockish maybe alittle soft under 2,500rpms but after that it woke up fast and hard and pulled to the 5k mark with unported gt40 heads, and tmoss stock gt lower.

I ran 13.5 or was it 13.6 @ 102mph (the only fairly healthy pass I made with that setup), I also put down 230rwhp/281rwtrq. after I lost #4 cyl., had 33% press. drop in a leakdown/comp. check, so it made preaty good power.

I dont have any drive time in the car yet with the new motor so I cannot say what I have noticed about it. I also now have a tweecerR/T so I should be able to get great drivabilty out of it no matter what now.

Chopped Liver said:
I have the TFS stage 1 cam.

Things I like:
1. hasn't stalled or died on me with no tune
2. really gets the car going 3000+ rpms
3. runs better than I expected
4. car sounds freakin awesome
5. dirt cheap
6. hasn't let me down as a daily driver
7. will be good if I decide to go poweradder.

Things I don't like:

1. under 3000 rpms could have more grunt

That is where a custom gives you the option to tell your cam guy you want him give you that low end torque.

2. begins to buck at 1500rpm (most cams)

You can go way more radical with the cam than you think (we are talking street NOT race cams) and not have to deal with that kind of stuff if you are willing to custom tune the car.

3. knowing I left power on the table compared to a custom or bigger cam

This is true when talking about the cam. Again with a way to custom tune you go for more power by going for a hotter cam. This way you give no consideration to pcm induced drivability problems when deciding on your cam specs.

4. new surge (800-1200rpms) until warmed up <40* outside.

Custom tune can make if go away.

Having to deal with these things with cars in the past I do agree with you about these issues. I do feel I slayed most of those dragons with the exception of #3.

If I knew then what I know now about self tuning with my Tweecer I would have told Ed to go more radical with my cam. Like you I left some power on the table :bang:

Later
Grady

I agree with just about everything said above. I really like this cam, if I had to pick an off-the-shelf cam again, I would still pick this one. It sounds very nice and lopey at about 750 rpms, but I have mine set about 1000 now in the winter time due to the surging when cold.

No, I have not done either. I want to go to the track very,very badly but it closed about 2 weeks before I finished the rebuild, which is weird because I read about people on here still going, makes me jealous. :) Anyway, as far as tuning, I have looked into it but after everything I've bought lately, I don't have the funds for it right now, although it is in my future plans. I am pretty sure my car is running rich and I can't afford to do anything about it now because a tweecer, pms, or even chip is out of the picture for a little bit. Oh well, I am very happy the way it is running, just dying to run into an LS1 to see just HOW good. :D

Here's my dyno from a couple months ago.

pic_at_track.jpg

Reactions: 1 user