Everytime i use supercharger my car idles funny and dies?! WHY?

SiK91LX

Apr 23, 2003
SF, CA
I have a old version PAXTON SN-89 5PSI....

I've been running it withtout the belt and it idles good but as soon as i install the belt on the charger and turn on the car, the whole car starts to act up and dies... I dont see any vacuum leaks?

Its a 5.0 w/ performer intake, 24lb injectors, 77MM Maf, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator, 3.73s, aluminum driveshaft, bbk header, h pipe, turndowns, shifter..Got about 90K On mileage...Its a 88GT motor inside a 91LX

• Sponsors (?)

TheUser said:
do you have a bypass valve? If not, it's blowing air and since the throttle isn't open at idle, it's messing things all up. That would be my guess if it only happens when the supercharger belt is on.

No i dont have a Bypass @ all.. Do you know where i can get one from? Summit has it? Its a old version of Paxton Charger.. Only reason i have this charger is for cheap and easy 30HP...

Lemme know

30 hp? What are you pushing...3-4 psi? If you're not pushing over 6 psi, I've read you don't NEED a bypass, but i'd be willing to bet that is your problem since I had the same problem with my GT when I had a powerdyne on it...although the cam was prob. a lot of it too. You can get the normal bosche(sp?) bypass valve, or i've also read you can use one from a diff. car like a porsche, etc. I would check ebay like cardudeusa said...maybe get one for $60 or so, but if you get a name-brand one, they'll prob. run $100 or more, but i'm not sure, just check around. Search for threads - the PowerAdders Forum may be best - about which bypass valves will work and prices, etc. Good luck!

My car had problems like this without a Bypass. I finally found a discharge tube that would allow me to mount the bypass I had.

I got this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7907208455&category=46098&sspagename=WDVW

It's just like the stock Vortech one, except it has metal internals instead of plastic, at least I think this is what the auction is for. I still have the box from mine with a part number, if you need it just let me know

Damn, whole lotta misinformation...

The SN89 will work fine without a bypass as will a A trim vortech or base powerdyne. I only installed one on my '93 to keep the blower from loading up while cruising the interstates at 85mph. They run cooler unloaded.

As to your problem, I'd look towards a air leak between the blower and the throttle body or the breather tube between the throttle body and valve cover is still hooked up. I'd suspect the breather tube. I've had the blower outlet tube blow off in the garage and those blowers push a lot of air even at idle.

Jamie