• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Exhaust Dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkhl
  • Start date Start date Nov 29, 2004
D

dkhl

New Member
Aug 22, 2004
101
0
0
Nov 29, 2004
#1
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #1
Before I start, I'd like to let you all know I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles, but I know a bit.

I walked into a performance store, and asked a guy if he had Long Tube Headers with an X-Pipe, and he told me it wouldn't fit inside a 5.0L Mustang.
The mustang I'm building right now is based on the following specifications.

347 Stroker w/ AFR 205 (Note: Block will be brand new, and probably aftermarket)
Aftermarket T-5 Transmission (With 3.73s or 4.10s)
Performer RPM II Intake (or Holley Systemax II, don't know which is better)

That's all I can think of right now. The vehicle is "weekend only" vehicle, so gas mileage is not an issue, Basically a "drag influenced" street driven vehicle so to speak, iff that makes any sense. I'd like to hear a rumble idling and what not, as most people would.. but nothing too loud. Performance first, sound second.

And lastly, the vehicle has to pass emissions w/ a Catalytic Converter. Please keep in mind before you make a suggestion. I don't think I'm going to go with Off Road equipment.

My questions are:

1. Should I go Shorty Headers w/ X-Pipe or Long-Tube Headers w/ H-Pipe? And why?

2. This may sound extremely dumb, What "exactly" is a cat-back and how do I know the exhaust system I'm buying has it. (try not to laugh too hard)

3. I will be switching over to supercharged eventually, will this effect my choice of Headers / Piping?
 

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
6,945
1,598
223
Northern KY
Nov 29, 2004
#2
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #2
Whoever you talked to is an idiot. I've got full length headers on my car right now, as does probably 1000 other guys on this forum, many of them with X pipes after them. A cat-back exhaust refers to the exhaust from the "catalyitic converters-back" or everything behind the H or X pipe, which would be the mufflers and tailpipes usually. As for the supercharger and exhaust, if you plan on building a SERIOUS supercharged motor, then you might want to go with a larger diameter header to get a bit more flow, but this could hurt your performance untill you get the supercharger, and you might be just as well getting a typical 1 5/8 inch primary header style untill you get the supercharger. As far as loud vs. too loud, that changes from person to person. Check out some sound clips here: http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=8
and see what you like. Personally i like to announce my arival, but that's just me
 
D

dkhl

New Member
Aug 22, 2004
101
0
0
Nov 29, 2004
#3
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #3
That liar, I knew he was sellig me bull****.

X-Pipe and Long-Tube Headers were quote "impossible".

I knew he was bull****ting, anybody else got oppinions?
 

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
6,945
1,598
223
Northern KY
Nov 29, 2004
#4
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #4
My advice would be to get in touch with the closest "speed shop" around your house, not a parts store or repair shop. Usually there's a few honest guys that will show you/tell you what's what, even if it is just to make money they're going to point you in the right direction. Aside from that, spend a lot of time reading the Tech section on here and any other forums you find....even if the topics arent related to a problem you've got, you're gonna learn something from reading it and it's bound to happen to your car someday since most problems/mods are pretty common. If that doesnt do it, check out the libraries and get some good reading meterial. Also subscribe to some Mustang 5.0 or Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazines...they're pretty informative at times, although they're pretty opinionated too. Check out Summit and Jegs as far as getting parts if you can't find a speed shop around your home.
 
9

90Notch

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
1,046
0
0
Westwood, MA & yes it's killing me that I'm no
Nov 29, 2004
#5
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #5
There are many many brands of long tubes that will fit your car; bassani, hooker headers, BBK, MAC, etc. A 347ci with AFR205s (good choice) is definitely calling for atleast 1 3/4" headers. If you don't mind spending $$ for a real good set get the Bassani. Hooker Header makes a decent set too for a little less.
 
S

stang2841

New Member
Jun 12, 2004
708
0
0
palm harbor florida
Nov 29, 2004
#6
  • Nov 29, 2004
  • #6
AFR205's are a bit overkill for that set up
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
323
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Exhaust Exhaust resonance
  • keel
  • Jul 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
326
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 11, 2026
keel
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
202
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
141
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
462
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?