SN95 Exhaust for 3.8 V6

mstang95

5 Year Member
May 6, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hey all. Well, the 95 V6 needs a new exhaust. I'm thinking of going with a dual conversion via the Pacesetter H pipe adapter. I guess that brings me to my first question: Am I going to mess anything up by adding a second exhaust line to a computer that was programmed for one? It will still have the stock cats and manifolds.

Second, I obviously have to choose a cat back. I want something that's going to sound better than stock, but not be so outrageously loud that I become "that guy" rolling around and blowing everybody's ears out. It's okay if it's loud at WOT, but I want it to stay tolerable up to, say, 2,500 RPM. I usually shift before then when driving normally.

So here's what I'm considering right now, in order. Would love some opinions. For all of these, the question of "HOW LOUD" applies - I don't think you can get that too well from videos.

Magnaflow Competition - Seems to have a good sound and known for quality. From what I've heard on YouTube, the Street one sounds almost stock, so I wouldn't want to waste my money there. However, this seems to be the highest price of any of them, and I've seen some reports of bad drone.

Borla S-Type - Another one known for quality and cheaper than the Magnaflow. Not sure I like the tone, though. In videos it seems too deep, too perfect, like something out of a sci-fi film.

Mac Boom Tube - Pretty good sound, but I'm wary of the quality and fitment complaints. I'd prefer not to have to go to a shop to get it fitted.

Pypes Pype Bomb - Sounds nice, not sure about drone and quality.

SLP Loudmouth - Seems nice in videos but I've heard different on forums.

Thanks in advance to whoever wants to offer some advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey, just an update - I was looking underneath the rear to see if it had the spots I'd need to install the extra hangers and I notices the rear part of what I guess is the frame seems pretty rotted. I'm kind of afraid to do this mod now. It would be kind of expensive and I'm not sure how long this is going to last. What do you think? Am I worrying about nothing, or would putting too much money into this car be a waste?

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_084621795.jpg
    IMG_20190715_084621795.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20190715_084651869.jpg
    IMG_20190715_084651869.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20190715_084656484.jpg
    IMG_20190715_084656484.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 244
Ok, here is my two cents worth.
the frame structure on these cars are the most important part, rust damage that is showing is not good and I suspect there is more in other places. As far as is it worthwhile to add exhaust to this to me would not be a good investment.
unless repaired it will only to get worse.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the exhausts I'm considering as far as sound and noise level? Since my OP I'm leaning more towards the Boom Tubes for the sound, but I'm still concerned about how loud and the quality.

Most people that talk about drone or being excessively loud usually do not have the catalytic converters still installed. They will quite down most cat backs. With that being said, any muffler with a straight through design-is gonna be on the loud side. Kinda the same with chambered mufflers-gonna be a bit noisy lol. I’m a flow master fan,as well as a pypes fan-so either of those will get my vote

Most people that talk about drone or being excessively loud usually do not have the catalytic converters still installed. They will quite down most cat backs. With that being said, any muffler with a straight through design-is gonna be on the loud side. Kinda the same with chambered mufflers-gonna be a bit noisy lol. I’m a flow master fan,as well as a pypes fan-so either of those will get my vote
How would you say the Pype Bomb compares to the Boom Tube? Tone-wise, volume-wise, quality-wise. Also would you actually choose the Pype Bomb for a V6, or a different Pypes exhaust?

I don’t think any of the brands you listed are of bad quality.my X pipe is from Pype’s,and I’m very happy with the fit and function of it. The pope bombs are a straight through design right?

I don’t think any of the brands you listed are of bad quality.my X pipe is from Pype’s,and I’m very happy with the fit and function of it. The pope bombs are a straight through design right?
Yeah. The clips I'm seeing online make it seem nice at idle, but prone to loud popping and trumpeting at higher RPMs, that's why I'm hesitant on it.

I just had someone at AM tell me the Boom Tube would be quieter than the S Type... can that be accurate? The S Type has a muffler and the Boom Tube is practically a straight pipe, from my understanding. Seems impossible that the Boom Tube would be quieter.

I had a 99 v6 and did shorty headers as well as a dual exhaust kit on it. Kept the factory cats in. As long as you keep the factory cats in, you will be fine. The motor just isn't big enough to be obnoxious without removing the cats. I think I still have those headers kicking around in storage somewhere lol.