Exhaust help for my brother please.

GeLsTaNg215

Dec 7, 2004
Philly, PA
My brothers got a 04 Gt with slp catback and he just put on the slp o/r x-pipe and it sounds horrible and insanely too loud. He wanted to know if he could just take out the slp mufflers and bolt in place of the slp's two flowmaster mufflers? or will this not work? Thanks in advance. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

GeLsTaNg215 said:
My brothers got a 04 Gt with slp catback and he just put on the slp o/r x-pipe and it sounds horrible and insanely too loud. He wanted to know if he could just take out the slp mufflers and bolt in place of the slp's two flowmaster mufflers? or will this not work? Thanks in advance. :flag:

The Flows will sound just as bad with the O/R X. The SLP stuff is just loud. I hate to say it but he should have done some searching and he would have heard that it's loud as hell before he bought it. He could try welding in some Magnaflows, that should quiet it down quite a bit. However, if it was me I would try to sell the SLP catback and purchase another brand (such as Magnaflow or Borla ) to run with the O/R X.

Really? we've heard alot of soundclips of flows and o/r x on a 4.6 and it sounded pretty damn good and I also have o/r x with flows even tho its 5.0 and it sounds great. the slp's were just way to crackly and no tone to them at all. But the main question was will it work using the slp piping and just the flowmaster mufflers? Thanks for responding so fast.

try swapping out the race pipes with cats, and going with the poweflo mufflers they offer. if that doesnt quiet it down enough for you, you're screwed. the only thing thats gonna help you is a new exhaust combo.

helty said:
try swapping out the race pipes with cats, and going with the poweflo mufflers they offer. if that doesnt quiet it down enough for you, you're screwed. the only thing thats gonna help you is a new exhaust combo.

:stupid: take out the SLP loudmouth resonator and put in the powerflo muffler, that should definately quiet it down. my buddy and i have the loudmouths on our 04 GT's and he put a UPR offroad x pipe on his and took it off a couple days later, it's so obnoxiously loud he couldn't drive it...

the other option would be put on a catted X pipe...

It all comes down to personal preference. I think the best sounding exhaust is an Offroad MAC Prochamber and 2 Chamber Flowmaster Mufflers.

Some like the raspy sound of off road X pipes and straight through mufflers like SLP. I think SLP and Magnapacks sound awful. An co-worker of mine did not like the sound of his X pipe and magnapacks and he had Flows welded in.

I think it will work because there is a guy in one of these Mustang forums selling a SLP Loudmouth as well as FLOs. He said that he installed the FLOs in place of the SLP mufflers. I tried to find the thread, but I surf about 5 Stang websites. Here is his email address [email protected]

Ask him and he could probably tell you what you need to know as far as installing it and how it sounds....Good luck

I think it will work because there is a guy in one of these Mustang forums selling a SLP Loudmouth as well as FLOs. He said that he installed the FLOs in place of the SLP mufflers. I tried to find the thread, but I surf about 5 Stang websites. Here is his email address [email protected]

Ask him and he could probably tell you what you need to know as far as installing it and how it sounds....Good luck

slp is known for having one of the loudest exhausts out there, hence the name "loudmouth". its also known by many on these forums that the loudmouth with an o/r x-pipe sounds like crap. i have the loudmouth with catted x-pipe and i love it. its loud like i want it to be, but the cats keep it from being too raspy. after a few months of driving it though, i may consider swapping out the lm1 resonators with the lm2's or maybe even powerflo's for a while, just for a different sound :shrug:

the advantage of slp products is that if you dont like the way it sounds (too loud, raspy, whatever) its a modular system. meaning you dont have to buy a whole new cat-back or x-pipe. all you have to do is buy the powerflo mufflers or lm2 resonators, and swap the straight pipes with cats and you'll be fine.

im willing to bet by this afternoon there will be a few slp bashers posting trying to get you to go with a whole new combination. "prochamber w/flows, borla, magnaflow". hey, they're all great exhaust products but its not necessary to replace the whole system. you've already got a very high-quality product (stainless steel, true x-design, good power gains) it just needs some tweaking to get to your liking. and you can easily sell the race pipes and resonators on ebay or stangnet classifieds.

a few more things since im a post whore...

it will cost you $200 just for the cats slp uses and the exhaust will still be insanely loud. trust me, i know this :D

on the other hand, it will only run you $170 for the LM2 resonators or $230 for the powerflo mufflers from rpmoutlet it really depends what you're looking for. if you want loud but not obnoxious, id go with cats and lm2. if you're just looking to quiet it down, then i say get the powerflos and see how it goes.

I have the SLP Loudmouth and, when used with the factory midpipe, it sounds awesome. Deep, muscular, everything you want it to be.

Last week I put on an O/R X-pipe and it was quite possibly the worst sounding noise to come out of any man made piece of machinery in the history of the earth. I couldn't get the X pipe off fast enough.

I'll say this here : DO NOT run an O/R X pipe with SLP Loudmouth exhaust - it is HORRIBLE.

Independently, the SLP is an awesome product, but just don't run it with an O/R midpipe.

GeLsTaNg215 said:
:lol: So true my brother looked like he was gonna cry when he heard his car after putting the o/r x pipe on. It really sounds horrible and ungodly loud!

How long has he had this combo? I ask because when I added an O/R x-pipe to my Dynomax race bullets [probably pretty close to the SLP] ...I didn't really like it - I was like :fuss: for about a week, but now that I've driven it a few weeks I'm :D

He just might learn to love it. :shrug:

The resonators are welded in, so he would have to have them cut out and whatever welded back in place.

On a side note I have a bassani o/r x, and slp LM1 catback. I love the sound. Its loud, obnoxious, and wakes the neighborhood. I see no problem with that.

GeLsTaNg215 said:
lol its only been 2 days and hes changing em out today or tomorrow. hes embarressed to drive his car fast cause anything over 3k rpms it could shatter a window but not in the good way loud :rlaugh:

Guess everybody has their own preference on just how an exhaust should sound. Like I said, mine probably sounds very similar to your brother's exhaust and I love mine - loudest freakiest exhaust I've heard on any Mustang in my area...and all the placid Mustangs I hear just sound the same. :rolleyes:

Daytona440 said:
:stupid: take out the SLP loudmouth resonator and put in the powerflo muffler, that should definately quiet it down. my buddy and i have the loudmouths on our 04 GT's and he put a UPR offroad x pipe on his and took it off a couple days later, it's so obnoxiously loud he couldn't drive it...

the other option would be put on a catted X pipe...
Didnt mean to bring back the dead, but did a search and this thread came up. Has anyone tried the powerflows yet. I would like to hear them as well, but opinions will do.