Exhaust note changed after being rear ended

Hey all, I got rear ended yesterday, by some chick on a cell phone. Odd thing was I wasn't even that mad... with my luck, it was only a matter of time.

My question is this, my passenger side exhaust tip is now slightly bend downwards, but I can't find any other damage to any of the exhaust. The problem lies in the fact that with the windows down, the note sounds slightly lower, and a bit louder. In addition, I'm now getting a huge drone in the cabin right at 1250 rpm, where there was none before. Surely this isn't all attributed to a slight change in the tailpipe angle. Where else should I look for damage? I'll be honest, I'm kinda baffled on this one.

FWIW, be happy to know that ford makes one hell of a strong car. I was dead stopped, and she hit me doing 25 mph... didn't even hit the brakes. Her civic was screwed, bumper, hood, and both quarter panels were toast. On mine, the rear bumper and passenger muffler took some damage, and MAYBE a slight tweak to the passenger rear quarter. When I pulled away from her car, I realized that my passenger tailpipe had punched a perfect hole through her license plate and bumper. I literally pulled a perfect disk of her license plat out of my exhaust. Go Ford!

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

The fact that your tailpipe slammed dead on through the plate makes me think of the transfer of energy all the way through the exhaust. Domino effect all the way through the exhaust. Like the man said throw it on the rack and check it out. Good luck.

well i got rear ended last year about this time, by a 70 year old man doing 100 Km an hour and i was stopped. i got the frame bent from the the axel back according to the body shop/ they straightened it and its all good to go i know cause i went to 3 shops independently. Trust me its worth it. Those flowmasters really hold up well. they had to replace the ehaust but not the mufflers. that could be a part of the problem. I would show the pics but i dont know how to do it.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies all, I didn't even think to get it up on a lift and check it out.... Here I am trying to wedge myself under the car on the ground....

At least her insurance is covering everything (including a rental... do you think it's too much to ask for a Hertz Shelby?)

Since the mufflers have to be replaced either way, I'm thinking about upgrading. Any sugestions? I'm not interested in being loud or obnoxious..... so I was thinking of just the FRPP mufflers. A little extra sound, without being over the top.

Thanks for the replies all... I appreciate the help.

Damn Hedgehogrgc.... how hard were you hit? my damage wasn't nearly that bad. Despite mine looking pretty tame, trhe dealer still estimated $1800 in damage... I'm still impressed by how well the car held up, and how well it's built.

One other thing I could use some help on, after I got it on the lift in the shop. Like I said before, I noticed a horrible drone right a 1250 rpm after the accident. Just looking at it on the lift, I didn't see ANY damage to the exhaust, other than the passenger muffler was knocked out of it's hangers. Could that really cause such a bad drone? I just don't want to get it "fixed" only to find outthat I still have a drone but nothing else visible.