Exhaust question/opinion

Woody3882

5 Year Member
Jun 19, 2018
Bradenton Fl 34212
My 65 Mustang 289 is running beautiful, I like the dual Flow Master mufflers that are on it, but they are a bit to loud for my wife. Can someone please recommend mufflers that have a nice sound but are not as loud as the flow masters. I will probably change out the entire exhaust system and put in headers, any recommendations. Shorty or regular. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Woody

• Sponsors (?)

Mines a 69 convertible. 351w. Now with buddy bar intake and 4 bbl. Headers are Hedman Ceramic and exhaust is magnaflow SS. The cross over is a H setup. At city speed it is a great sound, not too loud for me. At highway speeds, it’s louder but a great sound system overcomes the drone easily. Not much I would change.

My 65 Mustang 289 is running beautiful, I like the dual Flow Master mufflers that are on it, but they are a bit to loud for my wife. Can someone please recommend mufflers that have a nice sound but are not as loud as the flow masters. I will probably change out the entire exhaust system and put in headers, any recommendations. Shorty or regular. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Woody
Be sure to check out youtube videos and manufacturers websites. I say this because you'll get a lot of recommendations for Magnaflows, but some of their mufflers are just as loud as Flowmasters.

In the event you want you retain the Flowmaster sound, you could look into one of their mufflers that is quieter than the ones you're currently running.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcqJmwaDfYE

Reactions: 1 user
magnaflows are nice mufflers, but as noted some are just as loud as the flowmasters. same with the borla mufflers. too many people use teh smallest mufflers they can get away with, and you need to go in the opposite direction. get the largest mufflers that will fit.