Exhaust Question

afbryant

Aug 31, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 4.0 everything bone stock. I was wandering what would have to be done to make this exhaust system work? I was planning on cutting the Y pipe after the cats. I know there is 1/4 difference in pipe diameter. As said before, I still have the stock exhaust manifolds. Someone maybe tell me if this is not worth it any hopefully why not. I just need a little guidance here. Thanks
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=233418673360

• Sponsors (?)

If I'm seeing what you're seeing it's for a Shelby........Can not tell you what the ID of the Shelby GT500 exhaust pipe out from the cat backs maybe.

I assume it might be larger then the bone stock set up, check that. Sure that question will be answered, some smart folks around.

Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust 3.5" Dual Muffler Tip For 2005-2010 Shelby GT500

That said some 2 examples of stepped unions made to accommodate pipe ID differences

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.59.59 PM.png

I was looking under mine the other day, and mine is a total custom job. Two high flow cats attached to the manifolds. Three inch pipe from the cats, straight back on each side about 2.5 feet, then a graceful curve into a three inch Y under the passenger seat area. Then a three inch pipe gracefully arcing up over the axle to a three inch T, then three inch pipe out to two Ford mufflers. These have some growl, so I don't know what mufflers they are. Three inch tips, which I intend to have replaced with four inch tips since I like it as is now, just want bigger tips.

So you find the tips ya looking for?

Haven't looked yet. Went out today to go for drive, flat tire from a dry wall screw. I bought the car in November, it has KMC Rockstar 20 X 8 rims with proprietary lug nuts. Original owner said the socket was in the console. Nope, not in the car anywhere. So I have a part number I got from KMC, and fortunately a lot of authorized dealers in my city. So hopefully they either have one or can order it. I guess in the meant time, I can stuff one of those tubeless tire repair gizmos in there and fill it with sealer and keep on keepin on. We'll see which way it goes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well bummer, asshats and dry wall screws. I've had success with the plugs, a bitch to get in but work, tire sealer never used

For grins, some resources for tips, not sure what you're after, some fab work will be required. Trying to find slip or bolt on tips may be a challenge

For your reading pleasure, go as big as you like - cannons
Exhaust Conical Steel Products, Conicals, Tips, Steel Megaphones, Transitions, Reverse Cones
Stainless Exhaust Tip Overall Length: 10 in. Weld-On | JEGS

There's a really good muffler shop a mile from me. Someone once told me, no racism intended here, if you go in a muffler shop and and old black guy runs the place, you'll not find any place better. Fantasy Muffler is such a place. I've had them do work for me before, top notch.

Yeah, plugs have worked for me in the past as well. Going to do that today, then hit some of the authorized KMC dealers in town to see if I can get or have ordered a 1378-SD-KEY. They're spline drive lug nuts.

I had a pair of four inch turn down dumps on the side of my Ranger at one time. They clamped right onto the three inch pipes that are still there. They just wouldn't look good poking out the back of a Mustang. LMAO!!

In all three of my "cages", I keep a milk crate in the back. Tubeless tire repair kit, small compressor, can of fix-a-flat, bottle of oil, antifreeze and water, a squirt bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels. You just never know these days, damn drywall screws everywhere.

Attachments

• f02a9a87f0a7dc4d9e4403b457c136cf0_l.jpg
    f02a9a87f0a7dc4d9e4403b457c136cf0_l.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 92
  • c3926683cbdd5163e3568d79cb5931e90_l.jpg
    c3926683cbdd5163e3568d79cb5931e90_l.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Those look good, aggressive.. cages, you must have ridden or own a bike, know and used that term myself.

"racism" that's is a two way street... lots of folks do not know that.

All good

I have two bikes. 2006 Suzuki M1800R and 2008 Suzuki B-King.

Attachments

• 01010006.JPG
    01010006.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 102
Is this for your Ranger or Mustang? Four inch pipe is like a sewer pipe. Why, unless you have the ground clearance of a diesel 4x4, do you want tips that big? It seems like another thing to scrape on the pavement. It is certainly not needed for flow, and the pic of what is on there looks good.

I was looking under mine the other day, and mine is a total custom job. Two high flow cats attached to the manifolds. Three inch pipe from the cats, straight back on each side about 2.5 feet, then a graceful curve into a three inch Y under the passenger seat area. Then a three inch pipe gracefully arcing up over the axle to a three inch T, then three inch pipe out to two Ford mufflers. These have some growl, so I don't know what mufflers they are. Three inch tips, which I intend to have replaced with four inch tips since I like it as is now, just want bigger tips.

Is this for your Ranger or Mustang? Four inch pipe is like a sewer pipe. Why, unless you have the ground clearance of a diesel 4x4, do you want tips that big? It seems like another thing to scrape on the pavement. It is certainly not needed for flow, and the pic of what is on there looks good.

This may be true, but it's only an outlet. And practically every Mustang here has four inch tips. I just think they look better. Haven't done it yet. Seems most, if not all the catbacks available come with four inch tips.