Exhaust Questions

Feb 23, 2015
So I'm doing research for my GT exhaust, and hoping I can get it soon, but see it's more expensive than I thought.

But anyway, what's the difference between the axle-back systems, and the cat-back systems? Can someone explain the pros and cons for both please?

• Sponsors (?)

The cat back will replace everything from the headers back. Which would include taking the resonator junk out. Your cat back would either come with an x pipe or h pipe to replace that resonator. Axel back is just that. Pretty much just replaces mufflers and tail pipes. Just a sound thing.

The axle back for the 2015 require you to cut the factory exhaust for the installation. The cat back will be a bolt in installation and replace the exhaust system behind the catalytic converters

Here is the factory exhaust system as removed in one piece: (note the big bulky resonator. Where the welds are just past the hangers is the location the axle back will have you cut the exhaust system
IMG_20141113_175708889.jpg

This is the Magnaflow competition cat back system that I installed on my GT:
IMG_20141113_181700158.jpg

This is where the exhaust runs under the axle:
IMG_20141113_180318339.jpg

This is a good look at the X pipe and where/how it attached to the factory exhaust:
IMG_20141113_180036301.jpg

FWIW, the factory exhaust is 2 1/2" and this Magnaflow setup is 3". I am not sure if the axle back kits increase to 3" or not. I saw an increase of 10 rwhp with just the exhaust system, not to mention a great new sound!

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions