Exhaust smell is strong

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
When I startup my 71 Mach1 to warm it up while in the garage with the garage door open the exhaust smell seems so strong. Have I just forgotten the smell of older cars or is there some adjustment(s) needed? I will start it up, go into the house then 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the temp) later go get in the car and drive. When I get home my wife tells me my clothes stink. I have to leave the garage door open a foot so the garage airs out. Engine is 351 Winsor, 4bbl carb and single exhaust. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Its just the :poo: you gotta deal with in old non catted cars.I drove a 72 for years and I smelt like a gas station. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks to those that replied so far. I like to warm it up before putting in gear since it is an auto and when first starting is revving up at high rpms. I feel better now that it is just the nature of the Beast and going back over 40 years my cars sat outside. My parents only had a one stall garage and that was theirs.

why not just add a high flow cat converter to the car?? the newer cats dont require air pump provisions like they did in the past and it wont be restrictive at all.

call summit and see what they suggest. I remember reading an article about using a cat on a carb car with no issues.