Exhaust System 65 Mustang 347 Engine Swap

Pulling the 289 that is sick and dropping a 347 Crate here on the next couple weeks and need suggestions on exhaust systems to match the engine . I’m being told I need to go with a bigger diameter to increase the performance . Thanks for the help guys .

• Sponsors (?)

With the T-10 transmission, are you using a cable clutch linkage, or a hydraulic clutch linkage, or the stock Z-Bar style clutch linkage? A lot of headers will not clear the Z-Bar set up, you need to check with CJ Pony Parts on that one. Also, you forgot to tell us what cylinder heads you are going to be using. The headers you listed (Tri-Y Headers) are okay for a street car, but the primary tubes are only 1 1/2" in diameter, which may be too small for a 347 inch engine. I would say that you need 1 5/8" primaries at least....

George

download.jpg

These headers might be a better answer to your needs, and are also available from CJ Pony Parts. 1 5/8" primaries, and they will work if you are using the OEM Z-Bar clutch linkage. Hooker Headers Part Number 6901-1. I'm sure that Summit sells them too, and probably ships for no charge...

George

Those heads are fine for a good running street machine. Note the exhaust valve size (1.60" diameter). This seems to be the standard for almost every aftermarket SB Ford cylinder head, regardless of brand. The important thing to understand is that 1.60" diameter is smaller around the 1 5/8" (1.625"). However, the exhaust does not go through a hole that is 1.60", it goes through the opening in the valve seat, which is about 1 1/2" in diameter, and in that 1 1/2" diameter, the exhaust valve stem is an obstruction that interferes with the exhaust flow. This makes an 1 3/4" header look huge as far as exhaust flow on any hot running street Mustang. The reality is that 1 5/8" headers are VERY adequate for any 400 to 450 HP SB Ford street machine...

I'm running a 347 stroker with original block and 1 5/8 headmans with a zbar. Runs very well. Keep in mind that not all crate motors are drilled for the zbar stud

No, but there is an aftermarket bracket that can still allow you to use the Z-Bar clutch linkage (probably available from Summit). Unfortunately, the Z-Bar set-up interferes with RCI Long Tube Headers...