Exhaust system and factory warranty

My apologies if this question has been asked previously, but will modifying ones' exhaust system with say a cat-back x pipe and mufflers void a factory warranty?

I ask because I have a '11 5.0 on order and would really like to install the Borla type-s exhaust system.

Thanks,

Micahel

• Sponsors (?)

According to the Borla exhaust FAQ section of their website, it states the following on whether aftermarket exhaust will void your warranty:

NO. Some cars even have BORLA systems as the OEM exhaust. All of our street Cat-Backs™, Rear Sections and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.

Actually, there was a law passed called the "MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT" that goes more in depth and details about it.

You can check out Borla's website to read more about it! :nice:

No one part that you may put on your car will void the new car warranty entirely. If the dealer can show cause that the part you install damaged some other part of the car then that specific part could be denied warranty but would not void the whole warranty on the car.

In the case of the exhaust, never heard of any warranty denial due to aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks for the replies. I've never owned a Ford product before so I'm not aware of how strict they are with modifications.

I have a VW that one dealer told me I voided the warranty by using a non-standard fuel filter. Funny thing was the injection pump required a level of filtration not achieved by the factory filter!

Thanks for the replies. I've never owned a Ford product before so I'm not aware of how strict they are with modifications.

I have a VW that one dealer told me I voided the warranty by using a non-standard fuel filter. Funny thing was the injection pump required a level of filtration not achieved by the factory filter!

That VW dealer was wrong, actually breaking the law by telling you that and if they tried to actually impose that on you would be open to litigation.