Exhaust way too quiet

STP72

Nov 11, 2006
Magnaflow catback with stock cats is way too quiet for me. What can I do to make this thing sound like a real mustang. Emission tested here every 2yrs :( so catless is a no no. An option I am thinking about is cutting off the magnaflows and some other mufflers. What do you guys recommened? sound clips would help also. Or maybe buying a used stock H pipe gutting the cats and installing that. Then when its emission testing time put the cats backs on? What do the sound like catless?

Cheers

• Sponsors (?)

I say put on some flowmasters, or some spintechs, even though every one and their sister has flowmasters.( I love my flows) And as far as the emissions testing goes you can swap out your stock H pipe for a catless one in about 30 minutes, just put the catted one in before testing:nice:

I would get either Mac or Spintech, but i have the Magnaflows and i can tell you without a doubt that the quietness is because of your cats. They are quiet at an idle but at WOT they scream.

I like the sound of the magnaflows under hard acceleration. But at low rpm they are quiet. I would put on a cat less H pipe but I have seen cops here use a mirror to look for Cat less systems. If I got a stock H pipe and gutted the cats would It be a little louder? I would just put my catted H pipe on every other year for emission testing. As long as the cats appear there I am safe haha

Magnaflow

How long have you had them for? I've had them on my last 2 Mustangs and I love them personally. Not obnoxious, just a nice deep, clean sound.

The reason I ask is because they will "break-in" and get louder after you run them for about 500 miles or so. Not a ton louder, but noticable.

A cheap thing you can do is get a cold air intake, that will make your exhaust a little louder.

I would not gut a perfectly good catted midpipe. Your cheapest, easiest option is just to get some louder mufflers and bolt them into your Magnaflow catback.

One last word about Magnaflows, they don't drone inside the car so it makes you think they are not that loud while you are driving. Have a buddy drive your car down the street while you stand on the sidewalk and listen... You will be suprised as to how loud they really are being outside the car.

There is about 1000 miles or so on them.. I do like the sound of them, just wish they were abit louder. And with an AOD they dont get a chance to howl also. SHift kit and gears are next.Maybe that will help in the rpms to make them howl

if my car was a stick it would howl pretty good. I am thinking about the Xpipe
but keeping the magnaflows, since they are fairly new and stainless steel.
Any have an xpipe with magnaflows? and mac shorties

People will throw around all sorts of brand names in trying to tell you the "best" sounding cat-back ... but let me tell you, it doesn't matter what brand/style/design of cat-back you've got, if you're running the stock H-pipe with four cats, IT WILL ALWAYS BE QUIET. Hell, you could run straight pipes and it'd still sound pretty mellow with the stock four cats on there. Even an aftermarket cat'ed X- or H-pipe with two cats really kills the sound level.

IF YOU WANT A LOUDER EXHAUST, YOU NEED AN OFF-ROAD X- or H-PIPE.

I'd invest in one of those FIRST before you go replacing your cat-back. See how you like the sound with just a different crossover pipe without cats, and THEN if you think it's too quiet or tame or whatever, start shopping for a new cat-back.

... but let me tell you, it doesn't matter what brand/style/design of cat-back you've got, if you're running the stock H-pipe with four cats, IT WILL ALWAYS BE QUIET.

I have a stock H with low miles and flowmasters with 1 5/8 shorty headers. Mine is anything but quiet. I have neighbors tell me they can hear the rumble of my exhaust inside their house when I ease out of my driveway in the morning. Fortunately for me, they like the mellow sound.