Experience With Ebay Wiring Harness?

IN2DEEP

Jan 1, 2004
Does anybody have any first hand experience with this harness or company?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-0-E...m35c93d2ee6:m:mBR6-uFFWApK3R-4LStDUfg&vxp=mtr

I realize I'm out of touch a little bit, as Ron Francis seems like a decent sized company. I received their catalog and they seem to be straight. But my car has turned into a money pit, and I'm trying to not spend money on another crappy part.

To give a little more over view, I have been chasing something that kills my ignition module. I feel as if I've replace everything possible, and still having issues. So my next move is to replace this portion of the engine wiring, and hopefully that will "atom bomb" whatever gremlin resides inside my systems......

Please weigh in....... thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

never heard of them, but SD was only up until 1987 or 88, not 92. If you have a Mass Air car you want a Mass Air harness and you want a harness for that specific year and transmission.

Reactions: 1 user
Um....what brand ignition module have you been using ? Actual OEM TFI modules have been the only ones that tend to live. I've been using one from Advance Auto for a while...but I had to get the correct heat sink paste ( white stuff ) from Autozone. Dielectric grease ( clearish white ) is not what is supposed to be put on them.

The salt and pepper shakers are also known to cause issues.

You really need to break out a multimeter and save yourself a few bucks.

Um....what brand ignition module have you been using ? Actual OEM TFI modules have been the only ones that tend to live. I've been using one from Advance Auto for a while...but I had to get the correct heat sink paste ( white stuff ) from Autozone. Dielectric grease ( clearish white ) is not what is supposed to be put on them.

The salt and pepper shakers are also known to cause issues.

You really need to break out a multimeter and save yourself a few bucks.

Since I've been having issues, I've been demanding Motorcraft modules. Initially it made a difference. But any more, none of them last long at all. I killed several on one long drive. I've been using the correct thermal paste (Artic Silver), I've tried junkyard (known good) distributors, new distributors, every sensor that I bump into has been changed. It's been a nightmare. I broke down and took it to a FORD mechanic, who has basically given up........ I would really like to get my Jeep back to running and being dependable like it's been the last 15+ years........ thanks for the heads up... I'll dig into the salt and pepper shakers......

I think that crown Vic engine is also batch fire ( fires each bank for fuel control ) and it non- HO. Are you running an aftermarket camshaft ? Are you using the 90 crown Victoria computer ?

The reason I ask is because several things could cause the computer to do strange things to timing. That's all done through the TFI module. If its over working itself it could cause early failure....or if the wiring is jacked up increasing amperage through the module, or barely making contact flic

I'm also a Ford mechanic with all the info you need to completely rewire the ECU. I'm not the smartest guy on this forum... I say and do a lot of dumb stuff at times...but I know a lot about a little...if ya kno wut I mean.

I think that crown Vic engine is also batch fire ( fires each bank for fuel control ) and it non- HO. Are you running an aftermarket camshaft ? Are you using the 90 crown Victoria computer ?

The reason I ask is because several things could cause the computer to do strange things to timing. That's all done through the TFI module. If its over working itself it could cause early failure....or if the wiring is jacked up increasing amperage through the module, or barely making contact flic

I'm also a Ford mechanic with all the info you need to completely rewire the ECU. I'm not the smartest guy on this forum... I say and do a lot of dumb stuff at times...but I know a lot about a little...if ya kno wut I mean.

According to that harness' description, only the truck/broncos are batch firing. It states that I am to stick with my ECM, but the harness works for the HO firing order. NON-HO harness can be ordered. I'm not sure what would change in the harness for the firing order. I am not running an aftermarket camshaft.

I am running everything from the 90 Crown Vic including the ECM. I would not consider my wiring to be "jacked up" as it hasn't been butchered, or a fire, or anything. But it is 27 years old, and I'm having intermittent problems. I've had this Jeep for 20 years (EFI added in 2002) and it's not going away. So a fresh wiring harness seems like a good investment if it gives me back my dependable Jeep.

The Jeep has days where it runs good and is actually drivable. But the last time I touched it, it was running crazy RICH, and wouldn't pull itself from the garage. The mechanic has had it for a month, and has no answers.

I know exactly what you mean about "a lot about a little"...... that's where I live!

The white and black salt and pepper shakers are a known issue with inconsistent issues.

A new harness would surely make a difference. Maybe, even an aftermarket ECU ( like Megasquirt ).

The Jeep with a 5.0 is cool as hell :nice:

Reactions: 1 users
The white and black salt and pepper shakers are a known issue with inconsistent issues.

A new harness would surely make a difference. Maybe, even an aftermarket ECU ( like Megasquirt ).

The Jeep with a 5.0 is cool as hell :nice:

Jeeps around early '90s I think it was, came with T-5s! That meant, when I was building my '70 Bronco, I could use the 5.0HO and it's T-5, using the Jeep adaptor and Bronco Dana T.C. Turned out, Jeep used different-sized O/D gears, so I had to buy the gears and the adaptor, as well as output shaft. Went together well, ran like hell! That Bronco wound up in the Marine Corps with my nephew and is still running around somewhere by Camp Lejeune, NC! imp

Reactions: 1 users
Jeeps around early '90s I think it was, came with T-5s! That meant, when I was building my '70 Bronco, I could use the 5.0HO and it's T-5, using the Jeep adaptor and Bronco Dana T.C. Turned out, Jeep used different-sized O/D gears, so I had to buy the gears and the adaptor, as well as output shaft. Went together well, ran like hell! That Bronco wound up in the Marine Corps with my nephew and is still running around somewhere by Camp Lejeune, NC! imp

Yeah, Jeep used a version of the T5 transmission in the Wrangler. I went a similar route as my 78 CJ5 used a FORD "style" transmission. I just had to change the bellhousing to bolt up the engine. Ran carburetor for a few years, then graduated to the EFI........ She's pretty awesome... when she runs. haha

07B04895-3C96-4A05-B82C-3F3FBA61ED97.jpeg
I would switch to H.O. roller camshaft and A9L ecm. Then use Ford’s swap harness, part# M-12071-A50. That is what is in my Daddywagon.

As to Ron Francis, they have outstanding wiring harnesses. They can custom build a wiring harness for your exact needs if you want. You won't have to settle for a generic harness that way. Every wire is labeled for where it goes, great system.

I haven't heard of the subsidiary company though, give Ron Francis a call.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/default.asp