Export brace and Monte Carlo bar

Trying to install chrome export brace and monte Carlo bar in my 66 coupe. It almost goes on but the holes on the side I try to put on second are off by half of the bolt on the shock tower. I dont want to drill out the holes to make them bigger because I think this kind of defeats the purpose. Someone told me to jack the front up in the center and let both shock towers hand and spread out for a few days and they should both go on. Do you all think this will work?

The other issue is where can I jack up the front of my 1966 mustang where it will not damage anything but will allow both shock towers to hang? Everything I read shows jack points on either side but nothing in the center.

Attachments

• IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes, you can jack it up by the crossmember under the engine...those who have done it claim it doesn't hurt anything....the stock crossmember is rather thin wall steel, but if you spread the surface area across a full jack(not a scissor jack or a bottle jack) it should be ok...if not...its time to upgrade to a Z-Ray crossmember I guess. Your other option is to spread the shock towers with something like a port-a-power. I myself wedged them apart with a 2x4 during the restoration and then built braces under the fenders that replace the outer shock towers and tie the entire structure to tubing tied to the torque boxes and cowl...those braces now hold the shock towers where they need to be regardless of whether the export brace/monte carlo bar assembly is in place or not.

Also...the carriage bolts coming up through the shock tower caps...they are NOT set in place...the mounting points are slotted...you can move the carriage bolts along the slots to a degree, allowing you some amount of adjustment....adjusting the bolts on both sides may be enough to allow it to bolt on...take off the shock mounts and take a look.

My car sat with no front end for about 30 years and no radiator support for the last 15 of that. It had closed up over an inch. I borrowed a porta-power and spread it back out to install a MC bar and before I had it aligned. It did not really take excessive force to get it back where it needed to be.