Extinguisher in your stang ?

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
Connecticut
Back story....So Sunday afternoon, after doing home projects all weekend, I figured I'd carve out some time to take the Fox body for a ride, haven't had a chance
to even start it in 3 weeks.
I even asked the wife if she wanted to go and to my surprise she said yes, normally she wants nothing to do with that "loud obnoxious car"..lol.
Wasn't sure what I had for fuel so I keyed the car on to check and was happy it was a 1/2 tank, ran back in the house told to grab my wallet.
When I got back in the garage I could smell fuel..oh no...sniffed around, smell was coming from under the hood. Poked around and noticed a clamp on my rear fuel crossover
line was leaking, checked the rest and they all seemed loose. Only one of the three would tighten up the rest seemed stripped.
Keep in mind this is on my 393w where I had to lengthen the crossovers for the wider block, built it a few years ago and widened them with EFI hose / EFI rated clamps.
Thank the Lord I noticed it before I took off with the wife , could have been catastrophic !
Well so much for a cruise, upper intake off , disconnect and removed fuel rail , will be getting new hose and clamps just to be safe. Probably going to use the Pex style
crimp clamps this time.

Needless to say I had to tell my wife in shame it was a no go, I'm sure she laughed under her breath and will probably never agree to ride in it again !

With all that said I was talking with my buddy and he was surprised I didn't have an extinguisher in the car, I'll have one in there from now on.
Thinking about it more it really makes sense when you consider the age of these cars and the fact that most have had some form of modification,
the potential is there.
Am I in the minority here as far as having one in the car ?

• Sponsors (?)

Back story....So Sunday afternoon, after doing home projects all weekend, I figured I'd carve out some time to take the Fox body for a ride, haven't had a chance
to even start it in 3 weeks.
I even asked the wife if she wanted to go and to my surprise she said yes, normally she wants nothing to do with that "loud obnoxious car"..lol.
Wasn't sure what I had for fuel so I keyed the car on to check and was happy it was a 1/2 tank, ran back in the house told to grab my wallet.
When I got back in the garage I could smell fuel..oh no...sniffed around, smell was coming from under the hood. Poked around and noticed a clamp on my rear fuel crossover
line was leaking, checked the rest and they all seemed loose. Only one of the three would tighten up the rest seemed stripped.
Keep in mind this is on my 393w where I had to lengthen the crossovers for the wider block, built it a few years ago and widened them with EFI hose / EFI rated clamps.
Thank the Lord I noticed it before I took off with the wife , could have been catastrophic !
Well so much for a cruise, upper intake off , disconnect and removed fuel rail , will be getting new hose and clamps just to be safe. Probably going to use the Pex style
crimp clamps this time.

Needless to say I had to tell my wife in shame it was a no go, I'm sure she laughed under her breath and will probably never agree to ride in it again !

With all that said I was talking with my buddy and he was surprised I didn't have an extinguisher in the car, I'll have one in there from now on.
Thinking about it more it really makes sense when you consider the age of these cars and the fact that most have had some form of modification,
the potential is there.
Am I in the minority here as far as having one in the car ?
I used to have one in my car, it expired and my lazy ass didn't get a replacement. After a dryer fire in my garage earlier this year, which was a non-disaster thanks to the fire extinguisher in the garage, I really like having fire extinguishers around.

Reactions: 1 user
The need for an extinguisher diminishes exponentially when you take the hack factor into consideration. if the hack factor is high, then an extinguisher is a mandate.

When Ford built these cars, they didn’t include an extinguisher even as an option. when we re build these cars, things change.

To check where you might be on the hack scale, go to : WWW. amiahack.com.

Those who have them, any pics of where you mounted them? I have one within a few steps reach on every floor of the house and in garage and I have thought about in the car, but don’t want it to overtake the interior!

I consider it mandatory if you no longer have the factory style spring clamp connections. Have one in both my cars since the factory lines have been replaced with PTFE hoses with AN fittings. Friend of mine in college watched his car burn to the ground due to a fuel leak. A $20 extinguisher is cheap insurance.

I've got one for car shows, but I'm not leaving it in the car. I leave it at the store with the top down and I'm sure it will get stolen. But it's nearby. If it catches fire when I'm out, I'm insured.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep one in my fox. In my old 460 death trap fox i had an unfused wire to the fuel pump flare up. Smoke poured from under the dash. My extinguisher saved that car. I was a early 20 year old hack job back then. I think the wire was 16 gauge wrapped around some ignition + wire under the dash. Mine is in the quick release bracket screwed to my drivers side panel between seat back and quarter window.

If you get one don't leave it in direct sunlight inside the car. I saw one go off because of that at a car show. That powder is hell to get out of an interior ( trust me I know ). Whatever you do don't spray it inside a running engine by mistake...or in a carburetor. It'll destroy an engine. It also causes oxidation pits on aluminum.

I've had to use one on someone else's car before. Their brake pads caught fire. Also used one to put out a small brush fire on the side of the road a bunch of years ago. I think everyone should have one in their trunk.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had a few car fires in my life, none of them were due to my hack work. I've had 2 fires in an airplane too, and that's way worse I promise you.

I keep 5lb Halon bottle, in a bracket, mounted in the trunk. I bought the fire extinguisher from a professional fire supply store. The ones you get at Home Depot and Autozone just don't work as well. Anything less than a 5lb bottle may be inadequate; so it's just not worth the risk. A quality fire extinguisher can be serviced and refilled if you use it.

1. You want a Halon extinguisher because that covers A,B, and C fires.
2. It needs to be in the trunk. It doesn't matter what kind of bracket you have, if you have a hard or roll over accident, that thing is going to turn into a cannon ball flying around your passenger compartment.
3. If you have an electrical fire, pull the battery cable before reaching for the fire extinguisher. You can spray that whole bottle, and it will just come back if you don't get rid of the source of the heat. Both airplane fires, I cut all the electrical power, doused it with Halon, and landed the airplane with my face stuck out the window.

Kurt

• Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I Always keep an extinguisher. Fuel leaks happen sometimes, even if you’re careful on assembly. I’d rather be cleaning up fire extinguishing agent than watching a car burn to the ground. I don’t see a downside to carrying one.

Reactions: 3 users
That statement was uncalled for! You're back on probation!! :jester:
You carry one just in case someone else has a problem, I've used them twice on other people's stuff. You think it won't happen to you?
Why so harsh . I had a Ford van years ago that backfired and went up in flames. Would a fire extinguisher work on a Pinto. What about the old minivans along the highway on fire....Your idea of other people does make sense, but I usually dont think of other people . Im probably cursed now , and will go up in flames. Need to drill some holes in my plastic.

• Haha
A lot of good responses here, I'll definitely be getting one , not sure where to mount yet.
Every year mfgs. send out recalls for defective / poorly designed factory components, including fuel system parts...Hacks !
Factory supplied extinguishers ...hmm ?

Just got this cheap fuel pressure gauge. I will install this soon, and hopefully I dont need a fire extinguisher. I can screw things up pretty good if I dont slow down. CJ Pony is late on my stuff. I cant even tell if they even have it.

Attachments

• KIMG0459.JPG
    KIMG0459.JPG
    958.1 KB · Views: 127
Just got this cheap fuel pressure gauge. I will install this soon, and hopefully I dont need a fire extinguisher. I can screw things up pretty good if I dont slow down. CJ Pony is late on my stuff. I cant even tell if they even have it.

“Cheap” and “fuel pressure gauge” seem like a bad combo.

When you fool with our cars you can see that there could be a problem . With all the old wires and the gas . At least we dont have carbs for the most part. That module on the steering column could be suspect. 3G alternator could be a problem