Extremely Stiff Clutch Pedal

FoxGT87

5 Year Member
Aug 1, 2009
St.pete FL
does anyone have thoughts on what i could start replacing to make my clutch easier to press in? i am having to literally put as* into it when shifting. i started looking at converting to a hydraulic clutch. but is that necessary? anyone got a list of things to replace to make this a more enjoyable ride?

thinking i just need a new adjustable clutch cable kit, could more go wrong to cause this stiffness?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Stiff clutch pedal

It has to be one of three things:
Clutch- Stiff Heavy Competition Clutch
Cable- Needs Lubricant or cable has cut into housing causing cable to drag(at clutch end)
Pedals-The pivot mechanism needs lub or loosen up.

Reactions: 1 user
i just bought the ram clutch from AM 7 months ago, and it maybe has 3,000 miles on it. when we put this clutch on the last ones pressure plate was royally screwed. i am hoping it is not the issue. is there a clutch cable kit that is the best bang for the buck? summit racing kit cheapest and the FRPP was decently priced at around 80 i believe.

Well when I had a clutch failure that was based on the pressure plate (the pressure plate collapsed the clutch into my flywheel and held it there), my pedal got soft until it collapsed....but my quadrant also snapped too so I guess that could account for something :nonono:

I'd check your cable, your quadrant, and then if you're brave enough, the plate itself. Never hurts to have a good look arround.

I don't know if you still have your original quadrant or not (most are long gone on these cars) but if so, it needs to go. The original plastic quadrant is wretched and causes a lot of problems. At the same time you replace the quadrant you need to get the appropriate cable and a fire wall adjuster. You will probably notice an amazing improvement in feel and function. Only thing is, be prepared to remove the driver's seat and stand on your head to get the job done, but it will be worth it.

I just bought an 88 GT with the same issue. Long story short it already had an adjustable cable and aftermarket quadrant on it ( I did not know this). I found the clutch pedal pivot bolt at the top of the clutch pedal was loose. Helped alot to tighten it. Also sprayed WD on the pivot while I was under there. Still was hard to push but much better. I then put an eyeball on the connection where the cable passed thru the firewall from under the dash, cable looked crooked. It is secured correctly under the hood just must have worn out. If I push the cable straighter out under the hood where it passes thru the firewall the pedal pushes like gravy. So I bought a new cable :) Got my adjustable for 39.00 or something from CJ Pony parts online. Free shipping.

MM probably has the best cable out there. Hear it is like butter. If you get the FMS one then you will need to grease it up. I had to for mine and it works great.

Look at the cable from under dash. Look at it where the cable goes into the cable housing. If it looks crooked, you need a new cable. I had a very nice looking adjustable already on there but it must have worn out. And i do NOT have the firewall adjuster cause I didn't think I really needed that. I can get undercar to adjust it. However, I would bet if I had one it would more solidly mount the pass thru and would prevent my issue I had.

This is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do for the car. MM cable slides smooth and the quadrant design is one of the better that I have seen. You will not be disappointed.

i am wondering if i should save 30 and go with a steeda cable or if MM is the way to go. i haven't ordered it yet because i haven't gotten paid yet. is a steeda cable a good cable or will it be something to disappoint?

SO I got my new replacement cable on. The last bone head to replace it mounted the cable bracket to the k member instead of the frame rail. It pulled the cable to the side a bit and wore it out. It now pushes like a dream. I have an aftermarket quadrant and the cable is a 39$ unit from CJ Pony. Love it!

No problem. Not telling oyu which route to take just sharing my experience. Mine does have an aftermarket quadrant, not sure of the brand cause it was already on there. It does NOT have a firewall adjuster and I did not add one cause Im a cheap-O and dont mind getting under to adjust. I would however recommend which ever route you take to ditch the plastic quadrant and also buy an adjustable cable. The one I bought was cheap and works well at this time. I'd like to think that CJ Pony would not sell me a POS but you never know. Today I'm very pleased.