ez2wire harness installation

anybody ever used one of these? i've got it routed where everything needs to be, but i need to buy all new plugs for everything. (everything on the harness is GM spec) i've tried looking for just the plugs i need (ignition switch, headlight plugs, light switch, etc...) but i can't seem to find just the plugs. any suggestions where to look? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

hey, i've used ez wire's mini 21 kit. As for wire endings i reused the main disconnects, and thats about it. (the main disconnects are the two bulkheads that go into the firewall. I reused them cause i didn't want to cut into the dash and replace it with the bulkhead round ones that they have)

For the light switch are you talking about those terminal endings that they have? cause if u can get the wire out of the plastic holder you can find those gold terminal endings at pepboys. I can get you the part number if u'd like. its in the do it yourself section. They are essentially that female disconnect with a locking mechanism.

For the ignition switch you can A. reuse that black rubber piece and just splice the new wires to it. or b. take it completely off and use the same type of disconnects (except the locking part) back there.

Headlight plugs you can find new ones at pepboys or really any auto part store they're generic if i'm not mistaken. My harness came with new ones, just spliced them in.

I've looked high and low for repro parts like the main disconnects... just wasn't able to fine em. Let me know if you need any more info.

-suki

hey, i've used ez wire's mini 21 kit. As for wire endings i reused the main disconnects, and thats about it. (the main disconnects are the two bulkheads that go into the firewall. I reused them cause i didn't want to cut into the dash and replace it with the bulkhead round ones that they have)

For the light switch are you talking about those terminal endings that they have? cause if u can get the wire out of the plastic holder you can find those gold terminal endings at pepboys. I can get you the part number if u'd like. its in the do it yourself section. They are essentially that female disconnect with a locking mechanism.

For the ignition switch you can A. reuse that black rubber piece and just splice the new wires to it. or b. take it completely off and use the same type of disconnects (except the locking part) back there.

Headlight plugs you can find new ones at pepboys or really any auto part store they're generic if i'm not mistaken. My harness came with new ones, just spliced them in.

I've looked high and low for repro parts like the main disconnects... just wasn't able to fine em. Let me know if you need any more info.

-suki

thanks, my main concern was the plugs for the headlamps, i didnt know if they were generic or specific and i didnt really want to use the old ones 'cause they're kinda crappy. i appreciate the help

While you're replacing the wiring you might want to consider upgrading your headlight wiring system. A how to is in the link below.

Also! check out those led light bulbs to brighten up your dash and gauges.

A good source of wiring diagrams are:

http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html

Just a few things that i would like to do.

Also consider getting a sleeving kit to help hide the wires. I went through a few kits myself. For behind the dash i have this cool one where it wraps like
spiral-wrap-black.jpg

Zip ties are good and wire holders are a good idea too.

A few more tips:
-wire the horn as they say (it needs a relay for my kit) it took me forever to figure that =P

-Don't leave too much slack for the wires but don't cut too close eihter. This happened to me cause i approximated everything before i put it in the car. i recently realized its tough to work around them so i recently trimmed them down.

- have a good crimper, solder it as a precaution, and cover up with either electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

I installed the color codded 21 circuit EZ harness in my 73 mustang a while back. I know a lot of people say to solder the connections, but I just used my friends fancy crimping tool.

I too was not excited that EZ chose to use GM plugs, but it was easy enough to reuse the old connectors. I tried to get the actual connecting pins out of the plugs, but quickly gave that up when I mangled one of the original connectors.

I pulled out my old harness and made notes of what wires were where in the original plugs, then I cut them off the old harness. I then determined what new wires corresponded to the old wires and added that info to my notes. Once I laid out the new harness in the car, I cut the wires to the length I needed and spliced the new wires onto the old plugs.

I added a relay to my circuitry so that the power for the headlights didn't have to travel through the headlight switch. The switch powers the relay instead and that connects the headlights through a fuse and then directly to the battery. Makes um a bit brighter and takes a lot of current and heat out of the headlight switch.

An alarm and power door locks were also added to my car when I did the harness. It was real fun making all those connections out in the august sun. :) Thank goodness it all seems to have gone together well. I've had no problems with the wiring in my stang since. I especially like the part where my headlights don't cut off randomly in the middle of the night anymore.

I added a relay to my circuitry so that the power for the headlights didn't have to travel through the headlight switch. The switch powers the relay instead and that connects the headlights through a fuse and then directly to the battery. Makes um a bit brighter and takes a lot of current and heat out of the headlight switch.

i'm definitely going to do the relay system, i heard a lot about it but didnt really know why to do it or what it really did. i found a few good sites with some good schematics, hopefully i can piece everything together. i'm hoping the wiring fiasco will be finished within 2-3 weeks (i only get to work on it on the weekends) we'll see how it goes. thanks for the help guys

I read not to long ago about just buying EZ's ignition switch and headlight switch. Both are GM based but man the plug and play with those make it really nice. If I were to do it again, that is what I would do.

Buy new headlight pigtails from your local NAPA, Pep Boys, etc...

I read not to long ago about just buying EZ's ignition switch and headlight switch. Both are GM based but man the plug and play with those make it really nice. If I were to do it again, that is what I would do.

will the original lock cylinder fit in the gm style ignition switch? because i was thinking about doing that but dont really feel like having 3 different keys for the car...

has anyone used the ez ignition and headlight switch? will they fit in the dash correctly and still be able to use the dash bezels?

wow just like politics nobody ever just answers the question. Before i finalize everything i will post up pics or at minimum exactly were what wires go were and how it was done. so no more questions like i've asked and never got a response to.

EZ2 Wire harness installation

How much would an EZ2 harness to completely rewire a 66 Mustang cost, including all of the Mods,connectors, splices, etc, and generally how long does it realistically take to finish it.
The reason I am asking, is that I can buy reproduction harnesses that would (hopefully) be a plug and play, and could be installed in about a day for $500.00 from eBay. (Includes Underdash, guage feed, headlight feed, and trunk harness.)
I have never done much more then spliced a few wires, so doing a complete rewire is a bit scarey, and I am leaning towards using the reproduction stuff.

Thanks

The reason why i chose ez was simple. and that was to save money. And learn. my car is a complete restoration and i wanted to use the money on other things. before i wrap everthing up i will take pics and right something up so anyone can follow mine. granted its for a 65 but im sure that should pretty much cover early and late 65 and 66 maybe some 67's and 68's. Yes the plug and play is great but i like the fact of the extra circuits for added features later down the road.:D

EZ2 Wire harness installation

I can see your point. It would be great to know where every wire in your car goes. I also like the idea of upgrading to the newer style fuses. What you are doing is super, but I'm still not sure it's for me.

headlamp switch help.

for those that have used the ez wiring kit. I need to know what wires from the kit went to the o.e. headlight switch. Now i have the main power wire hooked up, and the dimmer. Now what connections on the switch did you do for interior lights and courtesy lights, that somewere in there would include the dome lamp and our guages. the others are for the headlamps and running lamps. Someone let me know please. In total there are 8 connections. 65 stang. Thanks.