Fairlane or Torino?

I have been looking to buy a Fairlane or Torino. Overall, I like the looks of the 68-69 Fairlane the best (especially the interior) but the 70-71 Torino looks sportier. I like these cars since they are relatively cheap compared to Mustangs and I can easily drop in the 514cu Ford Racing motor in them. Which do you like best? Also I haven't found many suspension upgrades, can anybody direct me where to look. Here are two that I found that I really like.

• Sponsors (?)

The fairlane is a unibody car in 67, not sure about the later ones. I had a 73 torino that had a full frame, but I'm not sure about the 70-71 either. If I had a choice I would want the full framed car.

70-71 are built on the same unibody platform as the 68-69.

personally, i love the look of the 68-69 formal top cars like the red one you posted, done right they are the ultimate sleeer. i nearly traded my car for a formal roof 69 fairlane gt when i was in high school. nice car but the guy that had it apparently thought it was much nicer than my car and decided not to trade it. later he traded it for a six banger nova. he built a nice car out of the nova, but still...

You would be happy with either one. Back in High School my friend Joey had a 1969 Torino GT convertible factory 428 CJ with 4-speed. When he totaled it he got a 1970 Torino GT with a 351C 4V. Both cars were great! If you are worried about rear seat room go with the 69.

No offense to any Fairlane owners, but the '68-'69 Fairlanes are a bit, well, plain-looking. By comparison, the '70 Torinos look wicked with the hide-away headlight option and dropped down a bit front and rear. From past experience I can tell you the '70 Torino has a front crossmember that hangs waaaay low and can drag and bend if you get carried away with the lowering.

Torino, by far... a '73 Torino is what got me my '73 stang when I saw it in the paper I went to take a look at it and right beside it was this fastback with great sheetmetal... It was a hard choice but the Torino needed much more work.. I love the way the entire rear end flows on a Torino. I agree with zookeeper, the fairlane looks somewhat plain.

I agree with Zookeeper with respect to the hidden headlight Fairlanes. They look much better IMHO. With that being said, however, I love the '66 and '67 Fairlanes. Also, I have always been partial to the '72 era Torino GT bodystyle (I think that's correct :shrug:) I'm talking about the one that is similar in shape to a Pontiac Lemans, but better. It had the ultimate sleekness to it for that period, and I don't even recall seeing a really nice one in the last few years.

You are missing the point of that build, that is a serious pro-touring car. Stock height and pro-touring are like oil and water.
Charlie Libby is one serious muscle car guy who knows his stuff, his Fairlane is probably the best one out there, IMO.:nice:

stangonline said:
Here's the Fairlane that I would want! :)

http://www.lateral-g.net/libby/

He's also doing a kick ass mustang.

I'd love to see the Mustang, but it would be pretty damn tough to beat that Fairlane. Absolutely awesome, and its the body I was saying has the most potential in my post above. Beeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuutiful!

4MuscleMachines said:
You are missing the point of that build, that is a serious pro-touring car. Stock height and pro-touring are like oil and water.
Charlie Libby is one serious muscle car guy who knows his stuff, his Fairlane is probably the best one out there, IMO.

I agree totally, and I wouldn't change the first thing about that Fairlane, but this forum probably would not even exist without differences of opinion. Worth has his preference, obviously, and there are others I am sure who share his opinion and keep the hobby alive to a certain extent.

Think about it this way: if everyone had bought into the prostreet movement before it essentially died (which was way too late IMO), then the Mustang hobby might have died with the movement. The flames I'll probably get over saying the prostreet movement is dead will likely prove my point.

:SNSign: All opinions welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

65up2d8 said:
I'd love to see the Mustang, but it would be pretty damn tough to beat that Fairlane. Absolutely awesome, and its the body I was saying has the most potential in my post above. Beeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuutiful!

I agree totally, and I wouldn't change the first thing about that Fairlane, but this forum probably would not even exist without differences of opinion. Worth has his preference, obviously, and there are others I am sure who share his opinion and keep the hobby alive to a certain extent.

Think about it this way: if everyone had bought into the prostreet movement before it essentially died (which was way too late IMO), then the Mustang hobby might have died with the movement. The flames I'll probably get over saying the prostreet movement is dead will likely prove my point.

:SNSign: All opinions welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to flame ya, but I need to grow a mullet first - get back with ya in a few months!