Fox Fan Clutch

Jamesmcga

Feb 20, 2022
Atlanta
I installed a new fan clutch from LMR last week and the car still sounds like a jet going down the road...I can barely hear the exhaust. I turned the fan by hand when the car was hot and before I went you for a cruise....very little difference. Did I get a bad fan clutch or is this normal? Links to the video's below.... TIA!

Cold Turn

Hot Turn

• Sponsors (?)

The first concerns are about the fan shroud. It should not be that wobbly. Is it making contact with the fan blades? Is it vibrating while the car is running?

If the fan clutch is thermal, it should have a noticeable difference. If it is a non thermal clutch, then it should feel about the same.

Last edited:
I also installed the LMR fan/clutch last week.

It definitely seems to spin more aggressive and seems louder (blowing air) than the original when the hood is open if that makes sense but when the hood is closed it does not stand out at all, it doesn't compete with the exhaust or sound abnormal. Just spins a lot faster and stronger.

I just checked/compared the cold vs. hot spins to your videos and it’s the same. No significant change in resistance either way.

Lock down that shroud for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
The first concerns are about the fan shroud. It should not be that wobbly. Is it making contact with the fan blades? Is it vibrating while tha car is running?

If the fan clutch is thermal, it should have a noticeable difference. If it is a non thermal clutch, then it should feel about the same.
it is thermal...the fan is not contacting the shroud, but I do I agree and I will go fix that now.
Guess I need to get a RMA from LMR. there is not a substantial difference between hot and cold rotation.

Thermal ones are supposed to “roar” only when hot. In vehicles where I can hear the fan over the exhaust, I can hear the fan engage and and disengage while driving on the highway on a hot day.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I miss that familiar sound of the "Ford 5.0 whoosh" that i used to hear back in the late 90's with all those Ford 5.0 engined cars with bad fan clutches driving around. Used to hear those coming down the road.

It’s 83 out today, so I tested the AC and played with the fan.
I could only get the temp up to M in NORMAL around town with SC on full blast, so I doubt that is hot enough to really engage the thermal clutch action.
“Cold” and after the drive, the fan spins about a second longer than your videos.