Fan motor pigtail melting

The connector that plugs into the fan motor has been melting. I replaced the pigtail not too long ago and the ccrm. The fan motor was replaced about a year ago. The motor spins freely but i don't know if there is anything inside that is shorting out. It only melts the terminal for the high speed. Any help would be great.:bang: :(

• Sponsors (?)

Is it just the pigtail that is melting or is the fan side of the connector charred too?

How was the new pigtail connected to the OEM harness? Are the solder joints still really clean and secure?

Can you feel (being careful and all that) the high speed wire to the fan becoming quite hot? (The point of all this is that resistance causes heat, which causes resistance, which causes heat..............)

I have the sinking suspicion that the issue is the fan motor itself, but the wiring was marginal too.

Next up might be trying to test the field windings in the fan.

Good luck.

the terminal on the motor side is charred a bit so you may be right. the new connector i put on it is a ford part and i made sure to solder the joints thoroughly. I am a soldering god so it had to be perfect. how would i go about checking the field windings

Crap, I just replaced my pigtail and fan motor for this exact reason. I sure hope it doesn't do it again. :bang:

Here's what mine looked like:
fan_plug.jpg

Attachments

• fan_plug.jpg
    fan_plug.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 611
I didn't even look at the shipping. I was going to order a couple of different things when I was looking at that site. Yikes, that was almost as high as Ford. Here it was $32, but you could get it locally.

Are you guys familiar with the TSB Ford had on the radiator fan motor/wiring? I don't remember exactly what the TSB was for, but I think it involved the motor drawing too much current and melting the wires.

This is the best description I could find for the TSB: SAFETY RECALL PROGRAM 01S30 REGARDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE FOR ENGINE COOLING FAN CIRCUIT BREAKER INSTALLATION.

If you want to find more about this, try searching for:
Bulletin Number: 01M09
or:
Sequence Number: 630549

In relation to Ford TSBs.