Felt Type Underbody Passenger Side Splash Cover / Shield Interfering with Installation of Jacking Rails

Hicompression

Mar 24, 2009
I have a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang that I am attempting to install BMR Low Profile Jacking Rails on. I got the car on jack stands and found what appears to be a cover made of a felt type material that runs the length of the passenger side door, inboard of the pinch welds that is held in place with a couple of plastic push pins and quite a few metal screws. Because the panel runs inboard of the pinch welds, it interferes with the installation of the passenger side jacking rail. There are several metal screw heads and the edge of the felt panel itself where the rail needs to be installed. Unfortunately, this is no longer a 20 minute install as advertised by most jacking rail manufacturers. One of the screws that holds the panel in place even comes from the passenger side rear floorboard. Wasn't planning on pulling up carpeting to remove this panel! So my questions are:
  1. What is the purpose of this panel? I performed a web search and can't find this panel mentioned anywhere.
  2. Is it ok to remove this panel to install the passenger side jacking rail?
  3. Why is it that neither Steeda or BMR ever mention this panel when I look at their videos or instructions for jacking rail installation?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 19 eco and will check what you're talking about. The 18 and 19 got a few revisions that aren't on the older cars so that might be why they haven't caught up yet.

My 19 doesn't have the felt cover you describe. I had it on a lift for its first oil change today. Is there a way for you to post a picture of it ?

I did see a few studs coming down from the floor board but the would have nuts or quick nuts on them. Nothing that would cause removal of carpet.

90sickfox: Thought I would have to pull the interior carpet to remove what I thought were screws holding the panel from inside the car. They were in fact welded studs on the bottom of the floor pan with "quick nuts" on them. I ended up removing the panel. According to people I queried about this panel it either serves as an "aero-panel" for drag/gas mileage purposes or it serves as an "sound insulator" (more likely) due to it being made out of felt instead of plastic. I managed to remove the panel and took pics of it hanging in my garage. My BMR Jacking rails are now installed.

What confuses me is....why did your Ecoboost not have one of these panels??? :shrug:

Attachments

• Felt Panel 1.jpg
    Felt Panel 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Felt Panel 2.jpg
    Felt Panel 2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 184
I don't know.... very good question. My car is a base model and brand new. I'm the first owner and no work has been done. I'm ordering the same jacking rails you have. How was the install ?

Install of the BMR jacking rails was easy after the felt panel was removed. I did have the car backed up on ramps and jackstands supporting the front of the car. It would have been very difficult to install the jacking rails without the car up in the air...

Reactions: 1 user
Very good to know. My other car is a fox mustang and require welding for jacking rails...total PITA