Finally getting 347 for the notch

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
I am finally starting to gather parts for my 88 ssp coupe.

I bought a 347 shortblock about 2 weeks ago locally and its sitting in my workshop/shed and I got a set of used TEA ported Holley Systemax heads. They showed up on Thursday so they are temporarily bolted down on the shortblock

The shortblock is a CHP 347 kit in a 91 roller block, 50oz imbalance, forged pistons, I beam rods, cast crank, main girdle, standard volume oil pump, ARP head studs. It has just over 8k miles on it. For $1k I got the shortblock, front cover, new roller lifters, new FRPP timing chain, gasket kit, solid motor mount (gonna sell them and get some energy suspension ones) and all the hardware for the head studs except the washers. Guy was going to do a turbo set up in his 94-95 but decided to go back to college and was selling everything off. He gave me all the build sheets for engine and all that fun stuff.

Thank I picked up a set of TEA ported Systemax heads of a guy on Corral. Fresh valve job, set up for 7/16" roller rockers and all for $900. I am going to take them down to the local machine shop and have them check them over just to make sure they are good to go. So far I figure that I have gotten some pretty decent deals. If the parts are good and I can save some money I figure why not buy some used stuff.

I am planning on a custom cam, not sure about injector size yet figure either 36 or 42s, and then just swap the rest of the parts off of the engine in my coupe on to it. Trackheat intake, Accufab 70mm TB and C&L 76mm MAF and put a new clutch in it while I have everthing apart.

I am pretty damn excited about finally being able to do this. My wife just rolls her eyes when I start talking about the engine or what I want to do with the car. :rlaugh:

I'll get some pics up of it tomorrow. For right now I just have an old stock intake and front sump oil pan bolted on it just to keep it closed up and clean.

• Sponsors (?)

OSW (Orlando Speedworld) version of tech is pretty non existant. Basically you pay $15, fill out your tech card, turn it in and proceed to the staging lanes. I have never had them even pop my hood, check lugnuts or anything like that. I figured when the vert went 13.18 with no bar I was done. Put the 100 shot on it and went 12.72 on my first pass and make 3 more passes that night. They never said anything. I am sure that if I was out there real regularly with it they probably would have said something.

I am going to sell my vert and part of the reason is that it is straight, no torn up torque boxes and in great shape bodywise and I don't really want to add a bar too it and all.

When we visit my parent's in Jefferson, GA we go to Atlanta Dragway sometimes and they actually do a tech inspection. Checked for coolant overflow, battery holddown, you have the correct # of lugnuts and such.