Finally got the hang of stick shift

Well you guys will probably think im a wuss but i never learned how to drive stick when i got my license so now that i got a stick shift car i finally got the hang of it after a few days. The only problems i am having are leaving from a stop light that is on an incline, Do you guys have any tips? and when driving on the street when is the best time to shift to third (What rpm or speed).
Sorry about the dumb questions but i am a stick shift beginer.

• Sponsors (?)

hills just take time...gotta move your feet fast...get your foot off the brake to the gas as quick as you can and start to let out the clutch....as for shifting at what RPM its up to you, and depends on how much gas your giving it...i drive like a grandma so i shift around 2500 :rlaugh: :bang: when im not interested in going fast at all....you will get the hang of it enough that you wont need to look at the tach anymore...you will shift based on the sound your hearing. I guess you could hold 3rd out till you reach the speed limit...that would be a good reference point....

and dont laugh cuz im the only 19 year old who drives like an old person!

Anthony

When all else fails give it more gas then you need and drop the clutch! Hills can be tricky for a while till you find that sweet spot. My car is an auto but my whole family has sticks. My moms 75' 911 porsche is the worst. The clutch weighs a ton! But when Im on a hill and someone gets real close to my bumper rather than roll back I just peal out a little. Better than rolling back and hitting someone!

On a hill, pull the emergency brake up, but keep the button pressed in.

This doesn't let the car roll backwards, but it will let it go forward, so you can take your time on hills.

The next thing you have to do is powershift. The sound of a screaming trans following by a racket and a banging sound gets my heart pumping. You better have a quick left foot. :D

Joe

Joes95GT said:

This doesn't let the car roll backwards, but it will let it go forward, so you can take your time on hills.

The next thing you have to do is powershift. The sound of a screaming trans following by a racket and a banging sound gets my heart pumping. You better have a quick left foot. :D

Joe
thats a good call...my dad did that for me the first time i had to do a hill in a stick car....

and yes....that sound is great...especially the racket and banging sound lol :nice:

Anthony

Joes95GT said:

Joe

What a good idea. Never thought of that. It's basically what I do on a hill with my sport bike. Leave my foot on the rear brake so it doesnt roll back. interesting.

Wow, I thought everyone knew about the old E-brake trick?

Where I live, sometimes you NEED to do that. Especially in the rain, things can get a little dicey. Thankfully, I haven't had the car out in the rain for about 3 years. :D

Joe

Sorry guys, I disagree with some of the above.

Learn to hold the car on a "SLIGHT" incline using the clutch. Fast feet arent a bad thing. but, you dont alwayse need that.

Also, feathering the clutch will help you feel out the car, and ultimatly, make you a better racer :) especially when traction is envolved.

Nosfurato said:
Sorry guys, I disagree with some of the above.

Learn to hold the car on a "SLIGHT" incline using the clutch. Fast feet arent a bad thing. but, you dont alwayse need that.

doing it that way is kinda hard on the clutch, its putting alot of strain and pressure b/c the whole car wants to roll back but is behing held back by just the clutch. Like everyone else said just take your time and you will figure out all the tricks to driving a stick. Once you do you will never want to drive an auto again, sticks are so much more fun. Im glad mines a 5 Spd.