Finally rear axle being attended too

aztecgwynn

Apr 3, 2015
So I just need platform to rant or bitch about this. But finally took car 93 Ford LX Hatchback to get rear end differential looked at.
I knew rear end was toast I can hear howl on left turns on freeways and clucking every so often. But took here to differential shop here in Mesa Az. But again I knew it was hurt but not this damaged but was also aware that this rear end gear was not factory as well because it was quick off line.
So just got off phone with lady from diff shop, so far she said carrier bearings had spun, axle bearing had spun, diff gears are bad, so basically all had gone to poop.
Well estimate new 3.55 gears, new bearings, new axles, new trac loc, $2300.
The crappy part of this I have been asking for good diff places here and nothing no recommendations instead I went to the place I really didnt want to go to because everyone told me this shop expensive now I’m stuck and have to deal with it.

• Sponsors (?)

Your sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation make your post just a little hard to read. I just finished my build progress thread a few minutes ago.

This is what $3k gets you; it's a 1200hp axle. A foxbody axle is way cheaper. $2300 to fix a factory axle is out of this world recockulous. Don't even consider paying that. Tell them you want a used axle off of car-part.com at the very least. You can have Moser build you an all new custom M88 axle that is perfectly straight, any gear ratio you want, any differential you want, and forged alloy shafts for that price.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Kurt thanks for response but I’m not close to Phoenix let alone someone to pick me up from Phoenix to take me home And find a shop to better suite my needs or my wallet. But this is the only diff shop in east valley so I’m kinda screwed up to this point and because my 5.0 is my daily driver, but yes it pisses me off that I have to pay the fare.
Went toSummit racing to look at prices and ring and pinion they are charging me are double what Summit racing charging for Ford Performance ring and pinion. Axles from Summit racing charging $210 for pair of axles these cats charging me $174 per axle.

They are vultures. Standard markup is 40%. Sorry you are in that situation. Get AAA. Takes you 100 miles if you break down and gives you some breathing room to find better options.

Kurt

Hell, at that price, I’d be watching the Eric the Car Guy videos on how to rebuild the 8.8 and do it myself. (Which some day I will do). I get it, it’s your daily, so that puts you in more of a predicament. Good luck getting it sorted out..... hopefully at a cheaper price!
Even buying your own parts and giving them to him would save you.... if he’d allow that?

Hell, at that price, I’d be watching the Eric the Car Guy videos on how to rebuild the 8.8 and do it myself. (Which some day I will do). I get it, it’s your daily, so that puts you in more of a predicament. Good luck getting it sorted out..... hopefully at a cheaper price!
Even buying your own parts and giving them to him would save you.... if he’d allow that?
I did think of that and they said that would be fine. But I need to understand that "my car is taking up their rack and that if I choose that route I need to expedite parts"
It sucks I literally am making myself sick just knowing I am possible paying $174 p/axle and $350 just for ring and pinion and I didn't ask what price for carrier was

That's highway robbery! You could buy a $500 beater to drive for a bit, all the tools you need to do the job yourself, fix it, sell the beater and be better off in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
I did think of that and they said that would be fine. But I need to understand that "my car is taking up their rack and that if I choose that route I need to expedite parts"
It sucks I literally am making myself sick just knowing I am possible paying $174 p/axle and $350 just for ring and pinion and I didn't ask what price for carrier was

There are so many fricken 28 spline carriers out there it's rediculous. I probably have at least 2 of them in my basement. It's a throw away part you take to the recycling yard. They should have been able to source a used one easily. The local pull a part should have at least 10 of them.

Kurt

Any reputable repair shops in the area? Somewhere with good general mechanics should be able to do this repair. Rebuilding a rear differential (for non race or severe duty) is not rocket science. Getting the parts in a timely fashion will be the challenge.

If you can find an old stock geared mustang rear end in locally, just install it to get you going again. Then as time and finances allow rebuild your existing rear end to whatever performance level you are looking for. Then swap the rear back in (or have a general mechanic shop do it).

When I put 3.73s in my rear, I had my brother who is a certified mechanic help me make sure I didn't miss any steps. It didn't take long to set up. He had previous done about 30-40 sets when he working in a 4x4 custom shop.

Hope it all works out.

There is no way I'd ever pay that ridiculous price. For not much more I could have both differentials on my 2017 Ram 2500 re-geared. As suggested, have them reassemble it broke or put a junkyard rear in it for now and get it the heck out of that shop. Then weigh your options.

They aren’t going to replace the carrier, it doesn’t wear out. They’ll rebuild the t-loc with about 50.00 worth of clutches and shims.

So I just need platform to rant or bitch about this. But finally took car 93 Ford LX Hatchback to get rear end differential looked at.
I knew rear end was toast I can hear howl on left turns on freeways and clucking every so often. But took here to differential shop here in Mesa Az. But again I knew it was hurt but not this damaged but was also aware that this rear end gear was not factory as well because it was quick off line.
So just got off phone with lady from diff shop, so far she said carrier bearings had spun, axle bearing had spun, diff gears are bad, so basically all had gone to poop.
Well estimate new 3.55 gears, new bearings, new axles, new trac loc, $2300.
The crappy part of this I have been asking for good diff places here and nothing no recommendations instead I went to the place I really didnt want to go to because everyone told me this shop expensive now I’m stuck and have to deal with it.
Sorry,.. just because you got no answer here doesn’t justify going to a shop that you knew was stupid expensive.
They aren’t going to replace the carrier, it doesn’t wear out. They’ll rebuild the t-loc with about 50.00 worth of clutches and shims.

If you haven’t authorized that work, i’d tell them not to proceed. As stated, most “ competent” mechanics can rebuild that rear.
you don’t need new axles, you need new axle bearings. you don’t need a new carrier, you need the t-loc rebuilt.

The rapery here should be against the law in the same vein that charging 30+% interest on a loan is. Fck,....at those prices, a FORD dealership would be cheaper.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Apparently not. Most mechanics are parts changers now. If there is anything wrong with the carrier, it takes a lot less time to order a whole carrier and stick it in there, then rebuild the old one.

Kurt

• Agree
I regularly see fox rear axles for sale for $200-300 on local FB groups. I would just buy one of those and have it swapped in.

$2300 is IRS install territory.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m pretty sure I have carrier and axles out of my ‘93 still in my shop. All working perfectly before being removed for upgrades. I can check Friday when I get home to be sure. I’d let it all go extremely cheap just to get it out of my garage, if you need it.

darkfader thks for offer. But even though it sucks i didnt have a choice or time to exercise options that differential shop gave me.
i dont have the tools, the lift to do work from my home. Now if i was in Ca where parents are now that is complete opposite tools, lift and help to steer me in right direction. Thks to everyone for help.

Good Luck man. I really hope they fix it up right for you! Way down the line, and it’s still running right, at least you’ll be able
to say they got it fixed. The money will be long gone, and hopefully you’re moving forward with a lesson learned!
Whether everyone will admit to it or not, we’ve all had our bad experiences/ mistakes. Live and learn!

• Agree