Drivetrain Firewall Clutch Quadrant reinforcement

Nightstang00

Mar 20, 2017
I have a 93 gt 5 speed hatch. I am getting a separation in the firewall to the seam around my clutch quadrant on the firewall. When I press the clutch the firewall is moving a slight bit. It’s effecting the angle of the quadrant. Does anyone make a plate to reinforce this area or will I need to remove everything and welt steel in?

Attachments

• 8BE46E80-24E7-437F-AFE6-108F14E33BDA.jpeg
    8BE46E80-24E7-437F-AFE6-108F14E33BDA.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 209
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like that firewall is torn and there is some sketchy wiring there. Is that your ground wire? Looks like there is some seam sealer there too. Someone trying to hide something??

Looks like that firewall is torn and there is some sketchy wiring there. Is that your ground wire? Looks like there is some seam sealer there too. Someone trying to hide something??
Yeah I was removing wiring this weekend. Removed the dash and noticed metal shavings. Looked up and saw this

Attachments

• C7961556-8474-4F32-8B2A-1FE999BA02C3.jpeg
    C7961556-8474-4F32-8B2A-1FE999BA02C3.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 216
  • DCF3008C-4B48-44B9-82FD-C74F4C1518ED.jpeg
    DCF3008C-4B48-44B9-82FD-C74F4C1518ED.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 185
  • FA91F758-1D84-4C4B-BCB6-A9767B662EE9.jpeg
    FA91F758-1D84-4C4B-BCB6-A9767B662EE9.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 165
So your saying your firewall is flexing enough to effect your clutch engagement? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of this happening before
The car drives fine. Just the quadrant moves when pressing the clutch in. I can’t attach a video or I would show you. It’s now wearing the quadrant also due to the misaligned angle the cable travel now has

That cable is cutting that adjuster. In time one of the 2 will fail if that firewall does not fail first and come in. The simple answer is not one that any of us will like.

To Fix this properly, you may need to cut and weld in a donor section of firewall from another Mustang.

Yeah, that does happen but it's not very common. Yours is especially bad though and looks like it's been flexing out for awhile. Only fix I know of is to custom make a reinforcement plate and weld it in since the metal is already torn. I welded and reinforced this area on my 89' since I've seen a couple guys with the same issue.

The cowl is cracked right above it. It looks like someone attempted to put filler in there at one point.

I've seen cracks around the firewall adjuster area...to fix that would just be a 3 by 3 plate of steel with a hole drilled in it for the adjuster. The issue you have is much more serious than that. You need to remove the cowl cover and take a picture of the back side of the cowl near that pinch weld area. Seems like major rust or fatigue is in that corner.

I've seen collapsed firewalls many times. It will cause the cable to cut into the adjuster and eventually cause the cable to break or lock up. Makes adjustments impossible without taking the cable out. You need some serious repair in that area.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The cowl is cracked right above it. It looks like someone attempted to put filler in there at one point.

I've seen cracks around the firewall adjuster area...to fix that would just be a 3 by 3 plate of steel with a hole drilled in it for the adjuster. The issue you have is much more serious than that. You need to remove the cowl cover and take a picture of the back side of the cowl near that pinch weld area. Seems like major rust or fatigue is in that corner.

I've seen collapsed firewalls many times. It will cause the cable to cut into the adjuster and eventually cause the cable to break or lock up. Makes adjustments impossible without taking the cable out. You need some serious repair in that area.
I’ll take a look inside the cowl , appreciate your info

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, my body shop is open. I think it would be a little difficult to find one that would do that kind of repair though. My body shop is a direct repair facility for a bunch of ins co's and that work takes priority, a lot of shops these days are like that. Stuff like that is usually declined here. There maybe a mom and pop type body shop that would take that on though.

Last edited:
It is going to be a nightmare for sure. Depending on how bad that firewall really is. At the least you probably will be pulling that engine out so who welds in the fix will have room to do it right the first time. I agree with your previous post "Not Fun"