Firing up a dream mustang...

John1996

May 10, 2019
Ohio
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I'm a hardcore ford fan that is looking to start a new project. Might be landing a new job at a Ford plant that pays alot better than the job I have now so what better way to celebrate than planing a high HP (I'm talking like 700+Mustang build! I already kinda ruled out 5.0 coyote engines to build up because they're still relatively new, thus meaning that they are very expensive to build, which is why i'm really leaning towards maybe the old pushrod 5.0 in the foxs or the 4.6 3v modular. I'm mainly just looking for advice to get started on a build that other people had luck with so that I'm not sitting there not knowing what to do.. I do have a lot of knowledge when it comes to cars, was a mechanic for like 6 years and always loved learning about them. So MY initial idea was to get a 2005-2006 4.6 GT 5speed built to handle a supercharger to push out close to or higher than the HP number I previously mentioned. So I guess the question is.. is this plan reasonably atainable??? I wont have to go too crazy with cash to achieve this right? Thank you so much for feedback I really appreciate it!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The old pushrod 302s can't be pushed into that power range without an aftermarket block, and the 3v 4.6 doesn't have the aftermarket support of the Coyote.

Coyotes can be built cheaper than you're probably thinking (none of them are going to be cheap at the power level you're talking about), and the aftermarket for them is wide open right now, and very competitive.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It could come down to the 'how much hp do you start with' scenario. The coyote starts out with what, 430 or 460 hp depending on year.
The 4.6 3v is under 400? And there are different blocks from different models, can get confusing.
you can get to your goal with a coyote by just adding a blower or turbo and still be very streetable. Get on the google train, I think you would be surprised.
not that the 4.6 family would be a good choice, many over 700 hp builds out there.

Reactions: 1 user
The old pushrod 302s can't be pushed into that power range without an aftermarket block, and the 3v 4.6 doesn't have the aftermarket support of the Coyote.

Coyotes can be built cheaper than you're probably thinking (none of them are going to be cheap at the power level you're talking about), and the aftermarket for them is wide open right now, and very competitive.
Yeah I realize it won’t be cheap cheap but yeah ok might think about a 2011 GT then because that’s the first year for that engine, are the transmissions pretty good in a 2011 GT isnt it a tremec 6 speed?

Yeah I realize it won’t be cheap cheap but yeah ok might think about a 2011 GT then because that’s the first year for that engine, are the transmissions pretty good in a 2011 GT isnt it a tremec 6 speed?
No, it's a Chinese-built Getrag transmission. The earlier versions royally sucked, the newer versions suck less.