First electrical, now this....related???

raidermanz

Sep 20, 2018
indiana
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and ashamed to say, an extreme novice in auto repair. In the past, changing the oil was about as deep as I would dig. Now that I am a little older, and have a little toy to tinker with, I'm willing to take on some more repair. I have a 1998 Mustang GT, 4.6L, and it has one major issue right now. I was at a stoplight last week, and it just died. It runs great, sounds great, looks great, but now it won't start. It cranks, and while cranking, the oil pressure gauge on the dash bounces around like crazy, but it won't fire. It even acts like it wants to fire sometimes. Someone mentioned a possible bad ground somewhere, but not sure at all about this. There are other electrical issues with the car, but they have been merely inconvenient up to this point: 12v ports don't work, alarm system always going off, and some aftermarket accessories put on before I got the car don't work (lights). Any thoughts on where to start? All fuses are good, so at this point, I need guidance. Any help is very much appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Tries to fire? Can you hear the fuel pump running when you first turn on the key? Sounds like you have spark but no fuel but I am still learning too.

Check the ground behind the center console. This ground is shared by several devices including the cluster, GEM, Radio, and Power port. Best to test with a test light that "loads" the circuit.

Perform a through review of the battery, battery terminals, and alternator. Double check the grounds around the radiator core support.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Review the information in the "crank with no start" check list. Especially the part about how the PATS system "proves out", fuel pump prime, and check engine light during cranking.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html

Note. regarding the oil pressure sender. These can and do go bad. In addition it's possible for the wire terminal to the oil pressure sender itself to have a weak connection. IMO if the ONLY problem you are having with the cluster is the oil pressure gauge, THEN I would change the oil pressure sender. The part is cheap enough to change for diagnostic reasons.

Last edited:
Ok, so I got home and tried to start the car. I here a very low, barely audible click that seems to come from to the engine compartment, but no humming. Doesn't sound like anything is running. That leads me to believe that the fuel pump isn't responding at all. That's all I have time to do tonight, but I will do more electrical checking this weekend. Feedback is appreciated, and I am enjoying the site. Thanks.

I'm starting to think it might be the chip key causing all of the alarm and starting issues? possible?
Why guess? Turn the key on but do not crank. WHAT does the theft light do exactly? By knowing this information you can know for certain where the trouble shooting effort should be focused. No sense in looking for a PATS problem if it not really PATS related right?

Does this car have an after market alarm?

Does the fuel pump prime at initial key on? For the 1996-2004 model year Ford factory PATS does NOT disable the fuel pump. So if the fuel pump is not priming then this problem is NOT PATS related.

Have you read and reviewed the base information provided?

IF you are still focused on this being a PATS issue, here's some information that may help.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Last edited: