First Mods Of the Year Done. 4.10's Fox TB Swap

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Special thanks to Andy (rio5.0) for doing the gears and the TB swap. It did not seem to hard to do but I know he had done it before and he offered a helping hand to do the swap for me and throw the 4.10's in as well.

Was a pretty bad ride home b/c of rain so I could not really hammer on it all that hard b/c Nitto DR's + Rain = not so good stuff but I did get a decent feel for the 4.10's a few times and with not even going all the way through the RPM's they made me :D. If anyone is debating 3.73 or 4.10's go with 4.10's. Even though the car needs to be tuned again it runs and idles better then it did before with the 94/95 TB set up. Still has a slight idle hang when it comes to stops but its nothing as bad as it was before and it just over all drives so much better and the ECU is still learning b/c it has not been driven all that much yet and it still needs to be retuned so I know it will get better.

But I wish this had a happy ending but it did not. Going on my third year w/ my Mishimoto radiator if has finally sprung a leak. It was leaking some b/c you could smell it when I first dropped it off at Andy's but by the time I got home today I had smoke coming out from under the hood and the ABS module and everything in that area was covered with coolant. Looks like its leaking from behind the fan shroud near the top. I e-mailed them asking about a replacement as well. Over all Im pretty happy with the car. First set of mods are done for this year. Here are some pics of the Fox TB Swap.

011-7.jpg

012-7.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

You guys really need to spend the $ on a decent radiator. 4:10s were alot of fun n/a but it sucked on the highway. Power-adder and 3:55s are where it's at imo even with my 3:73s.

Wait till you get to play on a dry day. It's super fun as 1st turns into nothing and 2nd gear will be the new 1st cept it's loose 2x as hard. 5th will actually pull even on a stock t5 lol.

Hate that sweet smell of coolant. :( How about a factory 94/95 radiator ? Or is there a '95 R model radiator available for our cars ? :shrug:

I keep reading about all these Mishimotos being prone to leaking, as well as other aftermarket brands...

You guys really need to spend the $ on a decent radiator. 4:10s were alot of fun n/a but it sucked on the highway. Power-adder and 3:55s are where it's at imo even with my 3:73s.

Wait till you get to play on a dry day. It's super fun as 1st turns into nothing and 2nd gear will be the new 1st cept it's loose 2x as hard. 5th will actually pull even on a stock t5 lol.

I mostly did the swap to 4.10's b/c of the track. My peak HP is at 5,500 to 6,100 it levels off and does not really drop off until after 6,100. With the 3.73 I was crossing the line at the track at 5,200 RPM. I just needed more gear plain and simple. With the online calculators I should be pulling 5,700 at the traps now. I sill need to get a speed cal to correct the speedo, Im not sure how off it is but I know that it is some. I have a Tremec not a T5 but I know it will pull harder everywhere now :D

Hate that sweet smell of coolant. :( How about a factory 94/95 radiator ? Or is there a '95 R model radiator available for our cars ? :shrug:

I keep reading about all these Mishimotos being prone to leaking, as well as other aftermarket brands...

The biggest problem I've had with this car is leaking radiators. Right when I first bought it the day I picked it up and brought it back to my friends house ( stayed w/ him in FL where I bought it) it sprung a leak pretty bad. I used that stop leak stuff at the parts store and it never leaked at all but I just didnt trust it anymore. I ran it that way for over a year before I bought the mishimoto. I still have the one that came in it but its at the place I moved from awhile ago. I should go pick it up and throw it in for now until I know if I can get a replacement or not. Their website says "lifetime Limited Warranty" Satisfaction 100% guaranteed. Well Im not satisfied b/c there are not that many miles on it AT ALL before it decided to let go.

You guys really need to spend the $ on a decent radiator.

Which would be what brand? Even expensive radiators leak. Fluidyne has bad rep too in my book.

Summit's radiators seem to have a good rep. They were a big hit...then the mishimoto or whatever hit the scene right after the summits got popular and took all the shine lol.

Pepboys has a 3 core radiator with a lifetime warranty for foxs. You could pick that up and be set......as long as they stay in business lol.

FWIW, I had a Mishimoto that sprung a leak after 3 months. I was about to drive from NJ back to school in GA so I ran to Autozone and got a stock replacement because I couldn't wait for the new one to come in the mail. I had the broken Mishimoto sitting in my basement for over a year and finally got around to getting the replacement. I ended up getting the replacement and selling it to my buddy because I sold the '95 which it was in so I didn't need it anymore. 2 months after he installed his, it sprung a leak. I called Mishimoto and told them I had 2 faulty radiators and that I didn't have the time or money to keep messing with their products and that I wanted a full refund. No questions asked, they sent me a check in the mail for $225. Chris over at Mishimoto is a stand up guy who has helped me through all their warranty crap even though their products suck.

On another note, glad you got the gears in. I remember when I got the 3:73's installed in the '95 and it felt like a different car. I need to get some 4:10's in the B asap!

All you have to do is fill out the warranty form and send them a pic of the damage or where it *might* be. Then they send you a new rad all you have to pay for is like $10 in shipping.

can they send me that card if I dont have one? When I got my radiator I didn't get anything except a box and the radiator. No invoice...nothing.

motor looks great. do you by chance have any info on the fox TB swap because id be much happier doing that than having to get an elbow when i eventually do an intake manifold

here you go

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/6462803-post18.html

Here is the leakyness after letting it run for awhile and come up to temp then shutting it off.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/TravisMcEwen05/Mustang Pics/?action=view&current=010-8.flv

^^^^ VIDEO ^^^^^

015-4.jpg

I got a Steeda radiator many years ago. They used to be made by C&R, which makes NASCAR radiators. I've had it for 7 years now, and I've never had a problem. I've never heard of anyone else having an issue either. Unfortunately, Steeda doesn't sell them anymore. Someone ought to give BeCool a try. See if their radiators are any good. I wouldn't waste your time putting another Mishimoto in.

Kurt

That sucks about the radiator. FWIW I have the Summit universal rad here going on 7+yrs without an issue. I bought it, spent $30 having a local radiator shop welding brackets on so I could mount my electric fan on the stock location, and fab'd some brackets out of aluminum to hold it in place.

I got a Steeda radiator many years ago. They used to be made by C&R, which makes NASCAR radiators. I've had it for 7 years now, and I've never had a problem. I've never heard of anyone else having an issue either. Unfortunately, Steeda doesn't sell them anymore. Someone ought to give BeCool a try. See if their radiators are any good. I wouldn't waste your time putting another Mishimoto in.

Kurt

I scored this one on Ebay...I think it was made by the outfit your talking about...Visteon & CR racing...was a shop in Indy that made Nascar and Formula stuff.. Seen to many issues on the Mish's to take a chance.

013_1_2.jpg

014_1_2.jpg

I'll give the Mishimato a second chance b/c of the improved brackets that are suppose to fix the problem. If the replacement one goes too then I'll look at something like like that one. How much did you get that one for Andy?